LegacyGT.com

Roof rack wearing paint

I have a thule roof rack to carry my bike and long story short I am going on a long trip so i figured I would take it off to save some gas. When I took it off i noticed how bad it was wearing the paint so bad that I don't want to put it back on. Is there any way to prevent this?

I've got a hitch mount bike rack and I love it. The main issue is finding a compact one otherwise parking is a pain. Roof racks are significantly cheaper if you need to switch between bikes and winter gear, since the base package is retained.

The other issue is that the standard hitch packages for the Legacy tend to be 1.25" receivers so you'd need an adapter for a 2" bike rack (most are), so that adds an extra 6" to the total length.

I've got a Raxter Tarsus though, and its great. Bike load/unload is less <2 min, with no lifting involved. Works great for my road or mtn bike.

I have a hitch reciever on my 06 LGT wagon and the dam thing scrapes all the time on entrance ramps and such. I haven't investigated if it's welded or bolted in, but if it's bolted I'm likely removing it.

The hitch bolts on. There's 2 bolts (on each side) above the mufflers and a large bolt through the tow hook.

To get access, lift the car up, remove the muffler hangers and exhaust hanger near the Y-junction, you should be able to drop the exhaust enough to get at the bolts. You'll want a socket wrench with an extension piece to get better access.

It should be <1 hr to remove (<30 min if you work on cars frequently).

Archived