LegacyGT.com

DRL wiring

I have a set of LED DRLs that I would like to install in a 1997 legacy L. My goal is to have them always on when the car is running. All the instructions I can find are for something more complicated. What is a straightforward way to wire these? I have very limited knowledge of the wiring system but I have a Haynes manual to look stuff up. Simple for my simple mind, please :)

Someone has suggested to me that I cannot wire directly into the parking lights without a relay. Any thoughts on that? Should I splice into something with higher current that is one whenever the car is running? Somewhere online is a comment to splice into the cigarette lighter. Is this a good choice? I'm not sure how physcially accessable that will be. Or some other wire that is hot when the car is on?

what you need to consider as well is if there is a 20A fuse for the parking lamps, and a 7.5A fuse for the cigerette lighter, which one is more likely to blow with more power drawing on it. I would suggest grabbing a Fuse splice from any auto parts store and running the power to the ignition fuse in the underhood box, this way you don't have to have your running lamps on to have the DRL's on,they'll be on as soon as you turn the key to the on position, plus you won't have to cut/tap into existing wiring or blow fuses unnecessarily

just a quick google search yielded this for me, you'll wanna use something like this

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Firestone/F2526.html?feed=npn&gclid=CNKxzL-uva4CFbAEQAod4ECsOg

Archived