LegacyGT.com

engine specification

I've found a 1996 Legacy Wagon for sale. I have no idea what model it is but I know it's not the outback model. It has the 2.2L with the manual trans.

This car has a leak in the gas tank so I've started looking to see if I can find a replacement. I did find a replacement but they're asking me what the engine code is. There are 2 choices either it's EJ22E OR EJ22EZ. I can't find any information on them, what's the difference? Could it be a deal breaker for the gas tank if the car has what the salvage yard guy tells me is the rare motor?

Thanks

probably not, but you can be sure by checking http://www.car-part.com . they will only return results that are known to fit / work. put in your zip and sort by distance. this will show the closet ones first. then for kicks, sort by price and go to the lowest price quoted. having it shipped may be less then the one in your area. (with some items like engines and trans it will not return ALL that match, only the same year.)

are you sure it's the tank. these cars are known for leaky / rusted filler necks. tuff to replace but easier than the tank. (of course tanjks can leak too.) you can examine the filler neck by removing the right rear wheel. there is a plastic cover that collects dirt and rusts out the filler pipe, usually on the lower half near or after th elbow.

Archived