LegacyGT.com

VIDEO: LGT vs. M3 at Buttonwillow

LandShark

Go back on your video and watch your elapsed time for one lap, that's how you get a typical lap time ;)

Ah, so basically coming out of the chicane is where you should hit over 110 mph if you just get on it right. I am sure there's a few places you can really go much faster.

Keefe

Without a lot more power, its hard to hit much over 120 mph+; possibly the front straight and coming up to star mazda (which causes a lot of people to go off the track because their brakes are not up for the challenge). Those are likely the two fastest areas of the track.

Awesome vid man! It was good to see a GT hanging in with that M3

Once more, I do appreciate the encouraging words. I also appreciate the constructive criticism from Keefe, Kevin, and everyone else. I do have lots to learn about extracting maximum gain from my LGT. Do doubt that corner entrance and cornering speed are where it all lies.

Not sure how well it comes through on the vid, but what was really fun was watching my LGT reel in the M3 on straight-aways. I know that guy was using all 333 hp that the M3 offers. My last dyno run was 255 hp at the wheels, so I'd guess the crank hp would be about the same. Of course, my wheel torque was just above 280 ft-lb, and that's a good deal more than the M3 dishes out.

Again, I had a passenger in the car (and was just a bit worried about the $500 camera on the roof). There were a few corners that I went in conservatively. I also was monitoring for brake fade. A couple of guys boiled their brake fluid and went shooting off the track at the ends of straight-aways mostly.

I would encourage everyone with an LGT (stock, stg 1, stg 2, whatever) to find a well sponsored track event like KingofImports.com hosted at Buttonwillow. You get a taste of racing speed while running with other guys (and gals) that want to do the same thing SAFELY. So much more rewarding than pulling on a Bemmer in highway traffic.

hey landshark - nice video! what kind of suspension do you have? cheers!

Got Swift Sport Mach springs from AVO Japan. Perrin sways both ends. AVO end links. Keep the sways on the stiffest setting because I enjoy how flat the car can hold in fast turns. The ride is on the harsh side, for sure. But I don't mind because I know what the car can do otherwise.

I did receive more than one compliment for how flat the car looked from guys riding behind me at Buttonwillow. One guy in an STi said he was sure it was riding flatter through the S-turns than his stock setup.

The most enjoyable experience with this setup is accelerating hard while still in the midst of a corner or turn. It resists understeering much more than it used to.

Happy 4th!

[in case you're wondering, my call-sign is BOXRPWR when I'm logged in at home]

Without a lot more power, its hard to hit much over 120 mph+; possibly the front straight and coming up to star mazda (which causes a lot of people to go off the track because their brakes are not up for the challenge). Those are likely the two fastest areas of the track.

I assume he's running 250 whp on stage 2, so he should have the power to do it, it's just a matter of seat time and driver to get the most out of it.. and yes, trail braking is the way to go and to make a chance for yourself to brake deeper WHILE getting the car to rotate.. I am sure Landshark's car could hit or touch 110 mph easy into the Star Mazda Turn..

I am a braking kind of guy, it's how you make up the speed and time when catching up to people. The car can only give you so much in terms of power, but to modulate the brakes is a skill on its own.

Keefe

Keefe

Once more, I do appreciate the encouraging words. I also appreciate the constructive criticism from Keefe, Kevin, and everyone else. I do have lots to learn about extracting maximum gain from my LGT. Do doubt that corner entrance and cornering speed are where it all lies.

Not sure how well it comes through on the vid, but what was really fun was watching my LGT reel in the M3 on straight-aways. I know that guy was using all 333 hp that the M3 offers. My last dyno run was 255 hp at the wheels, so I'd guess the crank hp would be about the same. Of course, my wheel torque was just above 280 ft-lb, and that's a good deal more than the M3 dishes out.

Again, I had a passenger in the car (and was just a bit worried about the $500 camera on the roof). There were a few corners that I went in conservatively. I also was monitoring for brake fade. A couple of guys boiled their brake fluid and went shooting off the track at the ends of straight-aways mostly.

So if power is the same, you should be pretty good with the M3, because that M3 is heavy, just as heavy as you and your car with the passenger (trust me, I weighed my GT-LM with me in the car and a full tank of gas and it came out to 3475, and an E46 M3 is about 3700 lbs with a driver).

http://www.conecam.com will solve your camera issues.

Get better brake fluid and brake pads and tires, you'll catch them easily with braking.. I get more satisfaction out of chasing people down using my own skills rather than relying on the car.

Keefe

Keefe

www.conecam.com will solve your camera issues.

I second that, having the camera inside the car will also help you hear and see where you're shifting, braking, etc.

I watched the vid two or three times -- from my perspective, there are only two things that I noticed that haven't been said already:

1. You don't do it all the time, but you are fairly regularly making a classic beginner's mistake: turning in too early. Just when you think it's time to start dialing in steering wheel input, wait a half-beat longer before you start. You'll be able to get on the power much earlier and come out of the turn with a bit more speed (the whole SIFO concept Keefe was talking about earlier).

2. Run more aggressive lines. I noticed, especially at the Truck Stop sweeper, that a few times you didn't really pull it in all the way against the apex. My bet is that you could probably run WOT through that sweeper if you pulled a tighter line.

Overall, pretty good job for your first track day. My first time was at Lime Rock Park in CT -- I was in the Novice group, and there was this E39 BMW M5 right in front of me. Of course, he dusted my ass on the main straight, but I basically sat on his bumper the rest of the way around the track -- very gratifying. :)

The best was when I was at Watkins Glen two years ago -- the first day was pouring rain, and the look on the faces of those M3 and Corvette drivers as I and my Passat-mates went flying by them was priceless! :D

Andy

Andy :) | My Whips :redface:

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I didn't go to a track day with you, but I have seen your car go. My STi was able to run with modded M3s very well (if not beat them) and I could definetly out-corner them (coilovers)... but I've seen your car move and at least as far as acceleration goes, its quite impressive. I look forward to seeing you car since I'm curious by what you might consider "Harsh" when it comes to the sway bars...
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

Thanks, Jose

I'm biting my nails waiting to go Stage 3 soon. I've already ordered the 20G turbo. I'm going to buy the Racing Brake front BBK. I'm also moving up to 18 x 8.5 5Zigen wheels and either Toyo Proxies or Perelli Neros in 255/35/18. I'm getting a deal on the Perrin fuel rails and PE850cc injectors that I'm buying from Chucktoo. Will put a Walbro pump in. Going to order the KSport coilovers in the GB deal. Probably going to put the ACT RS clutch and lightweight flywheel in at the same time. Thinking about the Perrin Big-MAF intake to help it breath easier. Wrapping it up with a custom ProTuner ECU map done by Dan Harman who's doing all my install work.

My baby is going to FLY next time I go to Buttonwillow. Likely in December during another open track day. I'll be looking for that Porsche GT3 next time!

And its the Sport Mach springs that I refer to as harsh, but so much fun. And I've got my Perrin sways set at max stiffness for absolutely minimal body roll, so that could be a contributing factor as well. I'm hoping that the KSport coilovers take a little of the harshness out of the daily ride.

UMPOSSIBLE!!!! The magazines say it sucks so it must be TRUE!!!!

Because Car and Driver know all. :lol:

I will agree the cars need better pads, the stock ones suck. Other than that, they work very well.

This is off the subject, but Xenonk why do you run ESP in Solo 2. According to the SCCA rules for 05 it says the Legacy GT is a FSP car (which isn't fair but oh well). I'm sure it will be moved next year like the G35 was a few years ago ( a G35 in GS would have been funny)

Archived