Hesitation after minor repairs? Newb Help

So yesterday I did some work to my car....1998 Legacy L 2.2L

Short shifter installed

Rear Diff. Fluid

Oil Change

Driver CV axle

exhaust gaskets

adjusted E-brake cable at handle

Afterwards my car has developed a low speed hesitation, almost like a misfire, it's right in the RPM range of other cars with that problem. And I'm not sure if I'm just listening too hard, but it seems the engine is louder but when I accelerate it seems to not have the go it used to, but then you can feel it almost "grab" and go. It's really worrying me as i just bought this car less than a month ago.

The oil was roughly a quart low which I know for sure is bad for obvious reasons but I don't think the difference in oil would make it do this. I know I sound stupid as this isn't my first car but I've searched and can't seem to find any viable solutions in the forums.

OH, and there are no CEL's-

To install the short shifter I had to remove the exhaust, heatshield and driveshaft, when removing the driveshaft i had to rotate it to get to all the bolts and one of the rear tires was resting on the lift enough that it wouldn't turn so only one turned....would this cause a problem in any way shape or form?

Any suggestions would help

Thanks

So the vacuum leak theory didn't fix the problem, though good thing as i did forget to connect a vacuum line. Today I took the airbox back off and made sure there weren't any disconnected/broke vacuum lines or wiring. Decided to change the spark plugs, picked me up a set of NGK Iridiums from work and changed them, was quite disturbed at what the plugs I pulled out looked like, Take a peek

http://media.use.com/images/s_2/95706068a1cb8c6ac931_2.jpghttp://media.use.com/images/s_2/95706068a1cb8c6ac931_3.jpghttp://media.use.com/images/s_2/95706068a1cb8c6ac931_4.jpg

I put a 104 octane booster into the gas because it went on clearance at work but I don't think it would make the plugs look like this OR make this issue with my car happen.

Post up what you think could be the problem

Hey, just curious if you have resolved your issue, also did tune up this past weekend and have the exact same problem. Have seached the net endlessly have come up with no cause, several theories but no solution. Sounds stupid to me but i heard switching to conventional oil may be causing the issue so i changed it out again with Penzoil full sythetic. Gonna give it a day or so but it seems to have dampened the situation some.

that's funny because I put conventional oil in as well, I was advised by a guy that seems to know subaru's not to use synthetic even though I can't make any sense of it, if that works for you please let me know because my issue has not been resolved

my tune-up included a fuel filter, oil, coolant, and air filter. had this same problem last summer and thought it was fixed by the fuel filter, but this tune-up brought it back. couple hundred miles after synth swap, still have issue. Thinking about deleting the fuel filter and running a straight line to rule it out (very briefly or course, couple miles). Keep me posted please.

turboslo, have you read the MPG sticky yet? There are a couple of more things that you could do that are mentioned in it, like cleaning your throttle body, MAF, etc.

Seafoam couldn't hurt anything either and would really clean out your vacuum lines. It's about $9 a can and you just slowly pour half of it in your vacuum hose that connects to the master cylinder. It's satisfying to watch all that white smoke belch out of your exhaust too. :)

ya, I know about seafoam. I work at an Advance Auto Parts and that stuff flies off our shelves, especially this month since it's on sale. My main issue is what could have seriously gone wrong during the small amount of things I did to make this ensuing hesitation happen, a commercial client we work with who mainly works on subarus suggested that the timing may have jumped a tooth or two or that when i switched out the knock sensor, not using an OEM one could be causing the issue, so I bought an OEM to put on but just haven't gotten around to it yet but will keep updating

well that's just it, but these guys I talked to buy subaru's from auctions and fix them and sell them. They said they've had multiple issues with subaru's jumping the timing, but your right, with what I did there was no reason for it to jump, plus it's not idling any differently so i know it's alright. Suprisingly, after i switched out the knock sensors, it did get better, noticeably enough anyways, but not totally gone, i just bought some MAF cleaner from work today, i'll give that shot and see what happens.

If these guys are buying subarus at auctions, who knows if the proper maintenance has been done, so a timing belt jump could be likely on those cars because they are buying neglected vehicles.

If you don't feel any difference idling, then a timing belt jump is a far out possibility. You would notice a tooth or two or three if you are sensitive to your car, which it sounds like you are.

When was the last time the timing maintenance was done on your car? You can always pull your timing covers off and see if your cam sprockets are lining up correctly.

Did you clean your throttle body out yet?

edit: I went back and reread that you don't have any CEL lights. But a knock sensor on it's way out might not light up your CEL if it isn't throwing a code every cycle. Just something I picked up today when I replaced my knock sensor. :)

Yeah, the knock sensor I knew about, hence why I still replaced mine. Ya they buy them at auctions, but theirs two different sets of shops, both seem to specialize in Subaru's, and they rebuild and repair a lot of them, but either way I know my idle is fine so it's not a timing issue.

I have no idea when any maintenance was done, the guy i bought it from didn't do anything other than oil changes (supposedly) and he didn't know if the original owner had done the timing belt or related items. I looked into doing the Timing belt, water pump, tensioner and related pulley's, front crank seal and a bunch of other stuff but I'm considering doing a EJ22ET build so I don't wanna throw a lot of money at this engine.

Haven't cleaned out the TB yet or the MAF but i'm gonna try today during my lunch hour to see if it makes an difference, I want my car running in tip-top shape as we are expecting around 10-12" of snow today into tomorrow so I want to have some fun

Are you thinking of doing an EJ22T build, or turning an EJ22E into a turbo? Just clarifying. If you are turboing an EJ22E you can find a lot of info on how to do it, but if it was me I would just get a JDM EJ20K or 20G and get a lot more power for less money. Hooray for the turbo sticky! Lol.

A timing kit from ebay will only cost you about $120, so that won't be throwing a lot of money into your engine, no where near as much as doing a turbo build. And since you don't know the maintenance history of your car, you may have jumped a few teeth of two. Your EJ22 is most likely an interference engine, so if you skip another tooth your heads will get trashed and then you will really be hosed. Good luck!

EJ22E is a non-interference engine, and i'm thinking of building a EJ22e turbo, I read somewhere that you can do a Cometic Mating Gasket set with 2.5L heads. I have to do more research to see if that's true, but doing a EJ20K is not something i'm interested in as you have to remove the dash and splice the wiring and that's not something I'd like to take part in. Plus I like having something that not a lot of people do, like an EJ22E turbo ;)

There are plenty of EJ22E turbo build threads out there that show step by step what to do. Have you checked any of them out? I was thinking about doing it a while back.

If you put 2.5 heads on your EJ22E, they have DOHCs, and your engine will become an interference engine. I'm pretty sure you will have to do some EM stuff too.

ya, i haven't gotten around to fully researching, and yes with 2.5 heads it would become an interference motor

but thanks for the input, i'll def check it out and i'm pretty sure i'll have to run a stand alone or at the very minimum a piggy back, but like I said i'm trying to avoid having to do to much crazy ecu swapping and wiring, plus I could build the motor out of the car so i can still drive it as its my only car, then when i'm ready, just drop it in, get the tune/programming and go and work out the tweaks "on the fly"

Archived