LegacyGT.com

Friend is looking at buying an SVX, Question

So I went and tested out a 92 SVX for a friend of mine today.

FWD light was on. Test drove it and could hear hte rear end whirring (tires are all the same size)

These had a VLSD in them. Felt a little bit of "wheel hop" in the rear going in a straight line. There was NO torque bind what so ever. With or without the fuse in.

However when I took the fuse out to put it in AWD. The rear end would REALLY hop and could feel it skipping. But still no torque bind. Transmission shifted really smooth as well. No 1-2 lurch or anything of that nature.

Bad rear diff? Or something with the trans still?

Didn't really know where to post this.

I was told that too. But what about the nasty wheel hopping? You could feel it slip. I have a feeling the wheel bearing is bad too but the hopping was odd. Never felt that before and i've been in cars that have torque bind. It sure wasn't that.

I would think rear diff is bad, something in diff housing and driveshaft connection seems to be the problem, looks like it needs a replacement... Center diff seems to be ok since it can power both front and rear.

Even lets say its a VLSD and its always locked, the car should be able to drive forwards/back without a problem, turning then you should experience wheel hop

Transmission is not the problem

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Rear wheel bearings are a known weak point as is transmission (heat) if abused. Just drove my '94 from Houston to Dallas in back with no issues - 25 mpg avg. Great cars.

There are a couple of SVX specific sites that might help with the diagnosis.

FYI - just put my '94 with LSi ~79k up for sale on this site.

I wanted to do the H6 swap until I realized what a huge pain in the ass it would be. It is a lot easier to do another swap or just get an SVX and drive/love it! Gotta love that H6 though. :wub:

A while back I asked broknindarkagain for a good link for an H6 legacy swap. He came through as always and sent me this: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/84339-best-ever-h6-swap-thread-38.html

It's only 176 pages long, lol.

There are some Youtube videos of a boosted H6, don't have the links. It didn't have a lot of power from the get go. H6s are more of a highway bruiser. :cool:

I have come across five or six SVXs for sale out here. Some were easily passable, but a few were mint for $5k or less. Wish I could add one to the Subie fleet.

I picked up an svx in novemeber of 2010 without tranny that is stuck in 3rd gear and still is to this day lol. I am willing to let it go for 500. You'll get a nearly torn down spare engine as well lol. This thing drives buy obviously may overheat if driven too long of a distance. I also have a full 5spd MT from a wrx that would love to be purchased with the car for another 750 to do the swap.

The SVX is a headache if unproperly maintained and is a chance considering the age of the cars. Be prepare to spend if you purchase one!

Archived