LegacyGT.com

Wheel/Tire utility trailor

bnguyenbb6

Does anyone here have one for their LGT? They seem to be more common with 350z and Miata owners. I'm finishing up school and am hoping to get back into AutoX and hoping to do atleast a few HPDE's this year. I'm considering buying a utility trailer for wheels/tires, jack, jackstands, etc. I'm just looking into any feedback (which ones work, which ones suck), how your trailer is set up etc. Thanks in advance.

05 with no folding seats for the fail.

Step 1, toss a hitch on the car.

Step 2, go to harbor freight and buy a cheap trailer in a box.

Step 3, drive 55 mph to and from the event.

Step 4, enjoy.

This is what I'm thinking of doing. I have an 06...no folding seat either. And the last time I carried tires in my back seat, my leather and doors got scuffed up. Plus with a jack, jack stands, tool box, etc, it can add up.

Carring it in car so you can what, unload it all and then put a chain though it all to lock it up over and over? Sounds wildly overrated.

Trailer + a coule of locking bars across or just fabricate a top out of 1"x4" with latches and a lock. Lock the hitchball into the hitch reciever and leave the hitchlock on the hitch shaft so no one can hook up to it.

Done and done! Whats more... You can even use the trailer for camping, moving small pieces of furniture / appliances, hell, you basically turn the Leggy into a mini-truck. You would be suprised all the things you may want at the races with a little extra room...

Pop tent, cooler, folding chair, bbq, pit radio, extra parts, your dog...

My car is an 05 that I fit all of that stuff in, in addition to my normal enormous trunk organizer. This year I'm also adding a 5 gallon water sprayer.

I've never damaged anything loading, unloading, or in-transit. I guess it's an acquired skill.

I can drive as fast as I normally do to and from events. (70+ on the highways)

Speaking of Harbor Freight, they sell moving blankets perfect for protecting your interior. They aren't as good as the stuff we carry on our trucks, but you won't be using these blankets everyday.

Carring it in car so you can what, unload it all and then put a chain though it all to lock it up over and over? Sounds wildly overrated.

Trailer + a coule of locking bars across or just fabricate a top out of 1"x4" with latches and a lock. Lock the hitchball into the hitch reciever and leave the hitchlock on the hitch shaft so no one can hook up to it.

Done and done! Whats more... You can even use the trailer for camping, moving small pieces of furniture / appliances, hell, you basically turn the Leggy into a mini-truck. You would be suprised all the things you may want at the races with a little extra room...

Pop tent, cooler, folding chair, bbq, pit radio, extra parts, your dog...

Pretty much these things. I've done it too many times and I hate jsut leaving all my stuff in a pile in the middle of a parking lot. I also head to drift events and bring stuff it'd be nice if I could bring tires for my buddy also since he lets me drive :cool:. Do you have one?

Stoplightassassin- Good for you man. You can fit everything in your car. *high five* I'm not asking if its doable. I've done it before and I'm sick of unloading/reloading my whole car while scuffing stuff now and then. And to be honest, ideally, I'd want to bring two sets of wheels for the drifting event stuff mentioned above.

No trailer, no ideas, no posts. I'd rather just do what people haven't done then get a thread with useless info like my blow through thread.Ideally, I'd like the following on my trailer:

-ability to hold 2 sets of wheels(8 total)

-ability to remove wheel holders for general use(bbq,cooler, etc)

-ability to fit a utility/tool box in addition to wheels

Pretty much these things. I've done it too many times and I hate jsut leaving all my stuff in a pile in the middle of a parking lot. I also head to drift events and bring stuff it'd be nice if I could bring tires for my buddy also since he lets me drive :cool:. Do you have one?

I have a sailboat on a trailer and I have an Airstream.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bought-airstream-pics-inside-157379.html?t=157379&highlight=airstream

The best solution in my opinion? Screw the harbor freight trailer, get a hot wife who knows how to cook, a tow vehicle and an Airstream. Fill the tow vehicle with all your gear, hook up the trailer and show up tandem. Welcome to gourmet lunch, your own loo, stuff locked up, etc. Not everyone is looking for a $30k+ solution.:lol:

I am in the market for a harbor freight trailer but I need to get rid of the sailboat/trailer first so I have some place to store it. I want to be able to take a built 200lb Yamaha Scooter on trailer, with auto gear, without having to bring the wife/two vehicles.

Im still on a college budget for now so a truck and trailer are out of the question. If I could do that then why even bother with a utility trailer?...

LAGT- I guess I'll keep you updated, I'm definitely making one within the next few months depending on how expensive my st paddys day NYC weekend is lol.

No trailer, no ideas, no posts. I'd rather just do what people haven't done then get a thread with useless info like my blow through thread.Ideally, I'd like the following on my trailer:

-ability to hold 2 sets of wheels(8 total)

-ability to remove wheel holders for general use(bbq,cooler, etc)

-ability to fit a utility/tool box in addition to wheels

This is more than the average racer brings to the track. 1 set of wheels, tools to change/setup your car, some comfort items all fit in a Legacy (sedan or wagon).

You stated you're on a budget. Harbor Freight is your best bet for new trailers. Unless you can find one at Walmart. If you want a used one, Craigslist is your friend. If you are willing to rent, U-Haul makes a really nice enclosed trailer for small cars (and is great for sleeping in between sessions).

Personally, I'd rather load the wagon up with the goodies I need and head for the track. Spending money on a trailer/licensing/maintanence is money I could be spending on track fees.

From my track experience, trailers fall into 3 categories: 1) You like to prep your car at the track, so you haul your garage to the track; 2) You like to show up ready to run, so you roll off and drive; 3) You have too much money and can afford a tech to prepare your car at the track; this doesnt apply to most of us.

IMO, you seem to be lazy. You said you're on a budget, yet you want to buy a trailer because loading the car is a pain. You critize the responses because no one has real-world experience with trailers. Suggestion: what you have you done to ascertain the best solution for trailers? Have you shared any of that newly gained knowledge?

For the cost of a single event, you can buy a trailer. For the cost of gas to a single event, you can buy a couple sheets of plywood to floor the trailer. The cost of food for a single event you can buy a tarp & tie-downs. Forsaking the costs of a second event, you can have a welding shop add to your trailer a tire holder, a tool box holder, side stakes (add plywood to fill them), and if you did the skinning yourself, you could have a framework added for a fully enclosed trailer.

Cheap trailers are just that, inexpensive. You want more, get a beater truck (1000) and used trailer (1500), then you can haul your car already setup and extra parts.

Grumble...its only money. Make a choice. How much is your time worth? How fun is your money worth? A trailer or track time?

I have another car...I just happen to need that car to take my gram around because the Legacy is no longer comfortable due to her back. I DD the Legacy when I can. I criticized posts because I asked specifically about a trailer and the first few response just said "load up your car". Spending $300-500 for several(or even a few) years of being able to haul gear is worth it to me. It seems like a worthwhile investment. The trucks around here that are in the range that yall are thinking of will only require more maintenance. A few thousand + maintenance vs a few hundred.... Everyone's situation is different, I thought a trailer was the most convenient(more convenient) for me or else I'd just invest in something else.

This thread went to shit, its fine. I'll move on. Thanks anyway guys.

Why?

I hate jsut leaving all my stuff in a pile in the middle of a parking lot. I also head to drift events and bring stuff it'd be nice if I could bring tires for my buddy also since he lets me drive :cool:.

This is more than the average racer brings to the track. 1 set of wheels, tools to change/setup your car, some comfort items all fit in a Legacy (sedan or wagon).

I also head to drift events and bring stuff it'd be nice if I could bring tires for my buddy also since he lets me drive :cool:.

Personally, I'd rather load the wagon up with the goodies I need and head for the track.

no folding seat + last time I carried tires in my back seat, my leather and doors got scuffed up.

Spending money on a trailer/licensing/maintanence is money I could be spending on track fees.

Not in my state its not. Utility trailers like that are a register once and DONE. Chances are they are in your state too.

IMO, you seem to be lazy.

IMO you can't stay on topic, repeatedly suggesting someone get a wagon and trolling isnt useful or entertaining.

This would probably be plenty and would not take a lot of time and material to finish out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/870-lb-capacity-40-inch-x-49-inch-heavy-duty-utility-trailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-42708.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_18027.jpg

Im more intereted in this for general purpose but would love to find one cheap already finished out in decent condition on CL. They pop up. If I get bored I could always turn it into a teardrop. This would take decidedly more time and money to kit out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2227.jpg

Archived