LegacyGT.com

Replacing cam oil seals

Now my car leaks like a bitch now I'm thinkin it could be the cam seals. Now is there anything I need to know specifically to do this? I know how to do it but I don't want to mess the new seals up. should I oil the seals befor they go on? The book doesn't say to do such a thing but I don't want the seals to get ruined. Thanks.

Oil them up and seat them with a big socket. Piece of cake. The hard part is getting them out. I used a screwdriver but had to be very careful no to damage the aluminum housing. I now have a little gasket pick, looks like a big dental tool to help get them out.

It could also be a few other seals causing your problem. Change your cam cap o-rings (they are prone to fail), crank seal, and oil pump seal too while you are at it. Could be a number of things. When you get the timing cover off you will be able to assess what seal may be leaking.

Ok I got them out. I can tell the oil is comming from the cams. Now the o rings where are they? Now the camshafts where the sprockets go on at are kinda rusty. I'm thinking of putting some saran wrap and oil as to not ruin the seals. Good idea or will it not matter.

The cam shaft support o-rings are on the back on the engine, the front of the engine being where your timing components are located. Follow the camshafts from the sprockets to the back of the engine and you will see them. Two bolts hold the covers on. Really easy to replace. Do it because they will leak on you eventually. My old ones were super brittle and cracked.

this DIY from beergarage might help you: http://beergarage.com/SubyCam.aspx

yes but i have a DOHC motor. not the SOHC. in the rear of the heads are 2 half circles and i have replaced them when i replaced the valve cover gaskets and i also RTV Sealed them. ive watched under the car and wiped it all down. it drips about 3drips a minute. now when shut the car off i watch the oil stream out down the valve cover from the front cams. and when i took off the timing cover i noticed oil streams coming from the cams. but i replaced them a while back but i never oiled them up, so i dont think they sealed right.

Archived