LegacyGT.com

Will the timing being 90 degrees out hurt anything?

Like I said. Timing is out 90 degrees because we thought the arrow was supposed to line up with the line on the timing belt at the top of the sprocket, but its supposed to be around the 3 o'clock position, Taking it back apart today and redoing it, just wondering if there is a chance the valves are bent.

ASSUMING you are talking about the 97 GT listed in your profile, and that is a BIG assumption, yes, it is an interference engine and having the crank 90 degrees out will probably bend valves. but you might bet lucky, reset the timing correctly and see how it runs. using the arrow on the crank pretty much guarantees that the piston will hit the valves. but you might get lucky.

now on the other hand if you are talking about a 95 ej22 that swapped into the an ej25 car, then the answer is no, no damage.

are you talking about a 97 ej25 engine?

Yes, your assumption was correct.....it is an ej25 and yes i know its interference. I didn't hear any noises so we'll see tonight i guess...... not a huge deal because he said he'd pay for any damage, just blows because the jeep is about to get some more goodies and i want a DD! It didn't start so i'm hoping we avoided disaster. I did want to swap the head gaskets though.............

It didn't hurt the valves. But it got a couple miles down the road and the temp shot up again. We'll be checking for the hydrocarbons in the radiator and some other stuff this week and if they are bad the car will go up for sale and I'll look into a subie with a 2.0 or 2.2 in it.

Archived