LegacyGT.com

OEM/KYB struts with aftermarket springs

blongo804

Hey guys, well all this time I've been planning on going with KYB struts in the spring time with my RalliTek springs. Now I'm reading the springs will greatly reduce the life of OEM/KYB struts. I figure this would be true, but my question is: by how much? I'm not tracking the car nor do I plan to (..I'd like to lol). Koni/Bilsteins are a bit steeper than I planned on spending but it appears they'll be better in every way, especially in the long run.

I know there's a few big threads on this stuff but I just want some direct help.

Thanks in advance!

its not just about the longevity of the OEM strut, its also about ride quality and handling characteristics. the OEM struts are just not designed to operate at lower ride heights or with stiffer spring rates. Doing so will make the car ride and handle worse and also make the shocks not last as long. Some say(im one of them) that the OEM struts are under dampened to begin with for the stock springs.

best bet is to go for the Koni's as they are the only option IMO that is properly suited for aftermarket lowering springs. plus they are adjustable for fine tunig ride/handling characteristics, have a nice warrantee, and can be rebuilt/revalved to accomate specific track/autox purposes if you want. no other fixed perch solutions offers all that for the 4th gen legacy.

Wow now that's quite an explanation. Sounds completely logical to me. I didn't think of the handling and such being affected as well but now I realize. I'll have to go with Koni's then. I love that they're fully adjustable.

By the way, is the Koni warrantee available even if they're bought used?

Wow now that's quite an explanation. Sounds completely logical to me. I didn't think of the handling and such being affected as well but now I realize. I'll have to go with Koni's then. I love that they're fully adjustable.

By the way, is the Koni warrantee available even if they're bought used?

Nope, koni requires the oiginal receipt for replacements a far as i know.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/141039922.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Hmm, interesting ^.. See, I hate to buy Koni's/Bilsteins and not use them to full advantage (tracking). All I really want is sporty with comfort basically since i'm only driving around a bumpy town. I also don't want to cut my stock struts open and ruin them by accident.

Konis are superior. Can be set lighter than stock, or much stiffer. Not a big deal to install really, your dad can help. Lol. Planning on upgrading the wifes car this year. Again.

First it had Tokico/Swift. Then it had RCE Tarmacs. Then it went back to stock. Then to the GR2's and Epics. Thinking RCE again. Lol.

I'm sure he would have a decently easy time installing but he doesn't have as much free time anymore as he used to with the new job he got. :(

I think we'll take a shot with the GR2's and see how they turn out. I'm also trying to save some money to get some parts painted that the previous owner destroyed (hood, rear bumper, trunk) lol.

They are still KYB. They just changed the "model" from GR2 to Exxel (SP?) or something like that. Same KYB's, just a new fancy name, lol.

KYB makes the OEM strut for Subaru. Their aftermarket offering is 99% the same. Just a hair firmer. But much cheaper.

And there they are. I'm sure it's a great strut. A little pricier than Koni's but direct replacements are a plus. I'll have to consider at least. Someone on the forum mentioned some sort of annual sale Koni has that's 20% off their stuff. Is this true and happening this year?!

Archived