LegacyGT.com

AC effectiveness/other minor questions

KSpan

Hey all - thanks for hosting and maintaining this great site!

The wife and I are considering replacing my Exploder with a car, and I've become pretty interested in the 5th gen Legacy (have a newborn w/ a big carseat). After spending the last couple of days lurking and learning, just a couple of quick questons for the group.

We're deciding between a 2011 or 12 2.5i Premium or Limited (would love a GT, but that's a story for another day :)) - what swayed you in the choice between Premium and Limited? The Limited interior just feels nicer to us overall, but the HK system is kind of a negative for me and we're not really attached to leather. HAs Subaru historically used quality cloth?

Also, living in KC it can get pretty hot and I've seen a lot of ACs in 4-cylinders struggle to keep up, esp. in larger sedans. How does this one hold up?

Not sure about the 2010+ but in previous years Subaru hasn't seemed to figure out how to spec out a capable A/C system.

What year is the Explorer?

5th gens use a variable displacement compressor - no on/off switch, so the ac is essentially running all the time...

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Not sure about the 2010+ but in previous years Subaru hasn't seemed to figure out how to spec out a capable A/C system.

What year is the Explorer?

2000 Explorer Sport (2 door) that I've had for almost a decade. Certainly wasn't thinking of child seats when I bought it in college :)

• Mega Users
I keep my a/c running all the time with my ACC. the car is 5 years old, 78000 miles, and it blows ice still. Never had it recharged, and probably will the first time this summer.
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Mine works, but takes a long time to cool the cabin down on a hot day.

I've also noticed that steering inputs cause fluctuations in the air temp when using the A/C.

Doesn't take much input from the wheel. If I'm on a long curvy highway I'll notice the temperature fluctuations.

you guys have 4th gen or 5th gen?

the 4th gen uses a magnetic clutch to turn on and off the compressor to prevent the evaporator from freezing over. thats why you notice the air getting warmer because the compressor is off

the 5th gens uses a variable displacement compressor, so this compressor does not turn on and off, it is always running. the compressor changes the displacement so you should not notice or there should be minor temperature fluctuations

OP is looking at 5th gens not 4th gens

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

test drive as many as you can, thats the only way to really know, for example, the honda ridgeline has a heated wiper zone just like my subaru outback. ive never heard the feature mention in any ridgeline reviews yet it standard.i wouldve never known that if i didnt test drive one

Archived