LegacyGT.com

3.6R Transmission Reflash

Took my 2012 3.6R in for my first oil change today and got my transmission re flashed for the harsh downshift into first. Basically for the people that don't know about the 3.6 transmission problem, when approaching a stop sign and you don't stop completely then accelerate immediately the transmission gets confused and slips from 2nd too first gear very harshly. So far so good but I am gonna give it a test tomorrow on a intersection where my car mashes into 1st gear every time.

I always make a complete stop, so can't tell.

I guess I will try to "roll" though a stop sign today and see if I have the same issue or not.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• 3 weeks later...
I had my 2011 3.6R reflashed when I took it in for the moonroof recall. Much better now.

What moonroof recall?

I had my 3.6R ecu reflashed when it came known in the previous thread on this. It made a world of difference. I guess they only put it in those who complain, not the new cars. What's up with that?

• 8 months later...
I will NEVER buy another Subaru! We have a 2012 Outback 3.6 loaded (bought new) and have had nothing but problems with the transmission....and we have well under 20,000k miles on it! We are presently on our third "re-flash" in 2 years...I'm guessing that's a euphemism for Band-Aid! We called Subaru Canada about a month ago and didn't even receive the courtesy of a call back...We also reached out to Subaru of America, a week ago and yet to receive a call. Don't get me wrong, its a nice LOOKING car, but when you have a serious transmission issue within weeks of driving a new car off the lot it's a problem! I wouldn't mind so much if Subaru would make a more serious attempt to fix the issue which seems to be prevalent with the 3.6's...Learn from my experience and buy something else.

From the grave!! Good to have used the search feature after several months of inactivity.

Sometimes the attitude of the customer at the dealer makes a difference on the service performed...

A few of the relevant specifics in your statement indicates that you have been in for service for the transmission more than once. In the US, we would not have the service manager close the service ticket - they do not get paid by SOA for the warranty work. There is incentive for the dealer to get paid. Not sure how Canada operates.

For your first post, flaming the car with no understanding that the 5th Gen Legacy platform has better than average reliability with fewer defects is quite humorous.

The 5th gen forum is a place for helping not flaming. If you could take a deep breath and plainly express the technical issue you are having with the tranny, perhaps someone on the forum has had this experience and can share possible further actions.

If you could take a deep breath and plainly express the technical issue you are having with the tranny, perhaps someone on the forum has had this experience and can share possible further actions.

I've never had to flash my tranny, but I've had a tranny flash me. :spin:

I've never had to flash my tranny, but I've had a tranny flash me. :spin:

Is that why you go home that long about way on the weekends?

It is tough to buy into a 1st post sour grapes post. Not that the person doesn't have a real problem. Maybe there lack of ability to express the problem clearly is a big part of the problem.

Does Canada have a lemon law?

• 3 years later...

I have a 2010 Legacy 3.6R with 50k mile and my transmission does this... Any know what the dealership will charge to do the reflash? I bought this car from an older couple (Orignal owners) 2 months ago and they barely used it (7k miles in last 3 years compared to my 7k miles in first 3 months LOL) so I do not think they would have ever noticed the transmission issue or at least known about the transmission reflash!

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

It may or may not be covered in the power train warranty (theoretically it should be, all reflashes are). But I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt to charge for labor and put it on you instead of a warranty claim.

Sad thing is this literally take 5-10 minutes start to finish (if the tech knows what they're doing).

If they quote you >$80 then you might as well buy the reprogramming CD and reflash and reset the TCU yourself at home. You can reflash the ECU, EPB, etc. while at it too.

All you'd need is to have or borrow a Tactrix OPv2 and any Windows V/7/8/10 based machine with a USB port.

Archived