LegacyGT.com

2000 Outback stereo question

Rittmeister

I just picked up a 2000 Outback wagon. It has a stock single-DIN tape deck. I'd like to install a headunit with a CD player and hopefully some way of plugging in my Ipod.

I'd buy an aftermarket stereo but frankly I tried several in another car recently and I just don't like the current offerings, so I want to stick with stock.

I know there are some compatibilities between stock Subaru headunits but my searching hasn't turned up specifics; I suspect I just don't know what search terms to use yet.

So - I'm looking for a double-DIN unit. Single CD or changer, I don't care. I've found a few products that will allow me to create an aux-in through the antenna but a built-in aux plug would be nice (don't know if this exists).

Failing that, a CD/tape player so that I can use a tape/aux adapter would work too.

So, what other factory units are plug-and-play in a 2000 Legacy Outback? I see model numbers (like P117 and P133) but I don't know which ones will work.

Any help much appreciated - I can't stick with just the radio for much longer...

I would keep to a similar model year unit if you want to stay stock and keep things "plug and play". Whether or not any OEM head units of that era came with aux in ability on the face would need to be researched. You could look for a newer head unit from across the subaru line (except the 4th gen Legacy's as they weren't DIN/Dual DIN radios) and see which had an Aux-In on the radio face (I can't recall any OEM head units that have this though, but I'm sure I've not seen all head units). Then purchase a forward and backward wiring harness to make it work with your car.

I know you say you weren't happy with aftermarket units, what weren't you happy with with them? I had an '01 Outback with a stock head unit that I replaced with a Kenwood single din unit with an Aux In input on the face, and also a USB input on the face which gave me some light iPod control (and charging), and also bluetooth connectivity also (but it was minimal). I think I only paid $130 for it from crutchfield and it came with an extra cubby for underneath the radio (which gave me two cubby's). It was much like this unit. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX395/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X395.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBrand|Kenwood

I was very happy with it. :)

EDIT - Here's a picture of it in my Outback. I thought it looked very clean in there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/zmarko/IMAG0209.jpg

I tried several aftermarket headunits in another car recently. A Kenwood, a Clarion, and another I've already forgotten. I found that either the menus were pedantic, or the ipod control was ineffective, or other issues. I didn't want to have to dive through three layers of menu to adjust bass/treble, one had a single big knob that was supposed to act like the Ipod's click wheel when you were searching but you had to turn it so slowly that it was pointless, etc etc etc.

I've found through a fair amount of trial and error that I'm happiest with an OEM headunit and some way to plug my ipod into it. It's just what works best for me :D

I have the kenwood that zmarko is talking about currently in my 2000 and i love it, the menus are easy to get through and you can control the ipod either via the headunit through USB, aux in, or control the ipod via the ipod with the USB. The aftermarket will be your best bet even though i know your saying you would like an OEM but they only oem i know of with the AUX input is the 3rd gen foresters have an input in the center console, but the input is molded into the console i do believe

Hmmm...I'd have to think about that carefully. I also like the fact that OEM will have the same color backlighting as the rest of the dash.

Can you tell me more about the menus - like the example I mentioned, how much trouble is it to adjust treble/bass? Can you just click the knob once or twice and turn, or do you have to dig up what you want through several layers of menu?

Also - can you control the ipod from the ipod while it's plugged into the USB, or must you use the radio controls?

The sound settings are changed by hitting menu then scrolling to audio settings, enter audio settings then you have all the settings from bass boost to treble to mids and fades. The menu in each option like treble i believe each of them have three settings in each. The menus are deep but very simple to operate through. The ipod can be operated via USB by BOTH the headunit or the ipod itself. This headunit is one of the best you can purchase in the price range and once you figure it out, it becomes very simple

Archived