LegacyGT.com

new TMIC, tune?

moawdtsi

Hey all, I have a newbish question here. I have a SPT catback exhaust but am otherwise stock (including paper filter). My stock TMIC is leaky and I am considering a Perrin type TMIC as a replacement. Will I need a tune for this? My line of thinking is no since the ECU still knows how much air is coming in the intake via the MAF and boost is still being regulated on the wastegate via the EBC. My only concern is boost could possibly go higher due to a lower restriction/resistance from a larger volume of the thicker aftermarket TMIC. Still though, boost is being controlled by the EBC. Can anyone offer any insight? Thank you, -Tim

going to a better cooling device usually doesn't render increased knocking. if its a fmic sometimes tip-in needs to be adjusted and wgdc since it might take more wastegate to reach target boost.

you should be fine without a tune

That's a rather expensive replacement without yielding much better performance. Maybe if you were stage 2. If you just want to keep your car running as it is now, just get a good working used TMIC. I sold mine a few years back here to another LGT member for dirt cheap. Something like $50 shipped. And save your money.

Archived