LegacyGT.com

Max EGT in DP?

mass-hole

I am planning to wrap my DP and wanted to think outside the box. I work at a company who makes industrial aerogel insulation blankets which is considered to be the best solid insulator we know of at the moment. I wanna know what I could expect to see for EGTs at the very beginning of the DP, worst case scenario as well as DD duty with the occational 0-80 sprint?

Thanks!

Worst case? Design it for 2200 degrees F.

Definitely interested in what you come up with. Mine is wrapped with DEI Ti wrap, and using a supplementary backed shield to protect the axle boot.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Ok well i guess Im way off base here. the material i am looking to use(Pyrogel_6650_DS.pdf) has a max continuous service temp of 1200F(the highest of any of our products). I was planning on running a silica fiber wrap underneath it to protect it in cases where it might get over that temp for a few seconds, but this aerogel insulates so well that it will essentially trap the heat underneath itself if not given a chance to cool between cycles.

I may try this anyways, cause the worst that can happen is the material will disintergrate and fall off. It wont light on fire or anything like that and if i seal it in well enough i may end up with aerogel powder which will still end up insulating much better than a thermal wrap.

EGT's at the uppipe can hit 850C. Most turbo wraps are rated to ~2000F, but cats get quite hot.

My wrap setup keeps underhood temps quite manageable. That, with my PTP turbo blanket keeps things very cool, and heat soak at bay reasonably well.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Does a turbo blanket cool the engine bay at the expense of turbo lifespan? I thought the two worst things for a mechanical system were heat and friction and wrapping that turbo would trap heat in and warm it up even more.

Nope.

Heat is what makes your turbo work. and turbochargers are designed for high-temperature operation.

Unintended friction, and heat in excess of design are some of the worst things for mechanical systems.

I will be moving forward with this actually. I talked to some of the other applications engineers and I am confident that the material will remain intact up to 2000F with minimal side effects. The big thing will be finding some way to seal the ends of the insulation to prevent water entry. The material will repel liquid water up to 600F but above that, it will burn off the hydrophobe and loose this ability.

Should be around the end of February when this will take place cause i will have the opportunity to pull the DP and replace with stock temporarily.

Archived