LegacyGT.com

What would you do?

Let's say you have a EJ25D with a spun bearing in it. It's time to either get rid of the engine or decide to keep it. If you say "get rid" of the EJ25D provide a reason. I know that it has a open deck. Options? What's your personal preference?

You have these item's:

Subaru STI ej25 NEW nitrated and cross drilled crank, rods, pistons, oil pump, ready to drop in a block.

You Do Not have the heavy duty hoist to take out the engine or do

most of the work. You defiantly need to hire a garage for some work.

Your budget is 1,500...OK, OK...1,800 is as far as I'll go but that is a stretch. Y'all are cruel!!

Do you want turbo or NA? If you want NA then sell the sti internals and pick up a EJ251 and throw your heads on it with sti headgaskets. You can deck the heads and block a little and have a 11:1ish compression ratio. (This is what I am doing to my black LGT).

If you want to go turbo then sell what you have and find a wreaked bugeye and swap everything over.

You;re not gonna just be able to make a closed deck.

Frakenmotor is a 2.5 short block with 2.2 heads. If your block is bad...Then that option really isn't the way to go.

The 2.5 heads flow nicely anyways.

@Baddog, thanks for your recommendation. I don't know how bad my block is. They are going to disassemble it this week and let me know what's up. So you don't think the 2.2 heads will flow well? I'm all ears.

swap in an ej22 or find an ej25d with a busted timing belt and swap your heads onto it, with new head gaskets of course, and install.

@johnegg, This sounds very practical. I think I might go with the second recommendation you give here because of cost efficiency. I have "H6 dreams" all the time: http://www.copart.com/c2/individualLot.html?lotId=28768751&searchType=onSaleNow

Maybe later in my BD's life I will do this. But, I have to get her running. I know it's going to cost a pretty penny. For today I think I'll be practical.

Do you want turbo or NA? If you want NA then sell the sti internals and pick up a EJ251 and throw your heads on it with sti headgaskets. You can deck the heads and block a little and have a 11:1ish compression ratio. (This is what I am doing to my black LGT).

Or is it a new block that would make the best difference in NA power?

If you want to go turbo then sell what you have and find a wreaked bugeye and swap everything over.

Subikid90, I'm going to stay NA with this build. I think I'm more and more seeing how much it will be in time to search out parts and stellar in cost. I'll save the motor build when I'm finished with bringing the whole car up to par. Do, you think I could still put on a different head and get more power out of it?

The 2.2 heads really dont flow well past 5k RPMs. I have however been in a couple 2.5/2.2 hybrid builds with 220 cams.

They really move down low and in the mid-range. Top end is meh.

It is a fun engine. Some people say a full on 2.5 is always going to be faster....That I don't really believe. All depends on what you want. The 2.5/2.2 has more low end power then a 2.5 could ever make.

Archived