LegacyGT.com

Wheel bearing? Rotor? Parking brake? Gremlin??

I just bought a 98 Legacy Outback Wagon last week and put rotors, pads and a ballpoint on it yesterday to get it through PA inspection. It now stops great, but when I go into a corner, left or right, at almost any speed I'll hear a grinding noise coming from the back of the car. It goes away as soon as the cars traveling straight again. I was thinking it could be a wheel bearing going bad and causing the rotor to tilt while cornering. Also the rear passenger side caliper's slider piece was so badly corroded that I ended up sanding a bit off of it to get it to slide in and out of the sleeve. The caliper can be moved my hand just a hair back and forth now, but I don't think it moves enough to make it contact the pads with the rotors during turns. Anyone have any other ideas? I'm thinking of just saying F it and shell out the $$ to do all four wheel bearings. Cars got 250,000 on it anyway.

To check a wheel bearing jack the car up and put it on jack stands. Hold the wheel at 3 and 9 and shake it, do this at 6 and 12 also. It shouldn't move in and out, just spin.

If the bearings are fine I would go pick a new slide pin, they are cheap, and install it will brake lube.

It could also be a CV joint that has a torn boot and is worn out.

mine did that for awhile. After a few hundred miles of driving it went away on it own. I assumed it was something with the brakes and left it at that. Also when I bought it the car had been sitting for almost 2 years so the first hundred miles or so were really rough.

I vote wheel bearing, but for the front wheels ( I know we're talking rear, just saying) you can't really shake it at 3 and 9, the wheel should move as if you're turning the car. Of course the back wheels don't turn the car so yea you can on the back.

I'm actually surprised nobody else knows what this is. I had the same issue when I put new Centric Cryo-Stop rotors on my car. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what the problem was until I brought it to my mechanic. He said a lot of the aftermarket rotors you get for our cars have a portion that needs to be ground down or it rubs. He said normally he puts them on a lathe and grinds that area down before installing them. In my case he said not to worry and to just drive it around, and eventually it would wear itself away.

It had started as a loud grinding even around the slightest of turns, and as it gradually wore away it took sharper and sharper turns for it to make the sound, until around a month later when the sound finally went away completely.

Archived