LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

Apartments being built across the street from my house, starting next spring. Trying to decide if I want to sell now or wait until they're built and tenants are all settled in, then sell. If we sell now, the house will be as-is. If we wait, I'll have the basement rec room and office all finished, a master bedroom walk-in closet done, and the front and back entryways will have tile instead of linoleum floors.

Currently, an eyesore of a building is across the street which houses a yoga studio and an overhead garage door company along with 2 townhome-style apartments. Here's the view from my driveway currently:

1320188280_HomeView.thumb.jpg.0824689fe5f07df513bb4bbd968c452f.jpg

Apartments are aimed at empty-nesters and will be considered "luxury" apartments. $1200 for a one-bedroom and $2000 for a two-bedroom. 40 units being built, and enough underground and surface parking spots that it shouldn't overflow onto the street. (View from my house above shows overflow from Yoga class every 2 hours of the day). The apartments will look like this when they're done

1026422811_ElmGroveCondos.thumb.jpg.5af1299d8600d6cf6886ab3b3106d209.jpg

What do you think? Should I stay or should I go?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very likely that the apartments will increase the value of your property, especially since it seems like a high end project. As long as there is enough parking planned with the project, and the aesthetics are good, which it looks like they are, you should do nothing but reap the benefits of the increased value in the neighborhood.

I am very impressed with the amount you can get done in a year.

It's like a fishing story :lol:

The fish was THIS BIG (How much I think I can get done in a year)

The fish was ACTUALLY *this big* (How much I actually get done in a year)

I framed, ran electrical, plumbed, drywalled, painted, and semi-finished the basement half bath that was there when I bought my house. It was torn down 2.5 years ago when the mold remediation company came through and I just had a toilet and wall mounted sink chilling in the middle of a 30x40 basement. :lol: Largest bathroom in the county.

I touched up some other electrical in the basement so I could move my cable modem and router down there and finally take advantage of the cat6 ethernet I ran when I rewired the main floor. No more blinding blue modem lights on my computer desk and no drop in wifi strength so that's all good.

Next project is probably rebuilding the steps going to my basement. Any carpenters or people familiar with framing codes here? Per code, my steps are too steep as they are now - code calls max 37° and mine are 42°) which I can fix when I rebuild them but then I run into clearance issues with vertical height (must maintain 6ft 8in head clearance or more). Thoughts? Just rebuild exactly what I have?

My recommendation is to contact a local stair company. The cost is often surprisingly affordable. They can do it any finish you want (stainable, ready for carpet, etc). My buddy, who flips houses professionally, started doing this, and pushed me towards it in my last project. No regrets.

I don't really have a problem doing it myself (although I will check it out)... it's just that there's no way to satisfy both code requirements so I don't know what to do/can be done.

Unfinished basement so I was just going to do pressure treated stringers and bottom plate with normal, untreated treads. I have some OSB left over that should be enough for risers.

If I remember, I'll post some pictures tonight of the other issues with the steps/landing that I want to fix while I'm under there.

The stair company could give you ideas maybe. Also, if that's the design of your basement, the building department may let it slide and let you keep it the way it is. Stairs are tough and expensive to reposition.

I was very surprised at the quality of our stairs that the local shop built. For the price point, I wouldn't do it. I did however have to install them.

The deck started pealing last summer and this year after our spring clean-up it looked terrible. Instead of trying to touch it up with another coat of stain we hit it with paint stripper and a power washer, which got some of the old stain off but not enough. Therefore we had no other choice but to sand it down which felt like it too hundred of hours (especially in the heat we have had lately) even with using a deck sander, belt sander, and a finish sander. Eventually we got a nice smooth surface which we primed and then hit with a coat of Benjamin Moore Arbor Coat. Plan on doing a 2nd coat either today or tomorrow depending on the weather forecast.

IMG_1608.thumb.JPG.bf9cee3b6db75dd15e98d9458e5ffa3c.JPG

IMG_1618.thumb.JPG.de41eba582e259b0cf30104c2026b321.JPG

The stair company could give you ideas maybe. Also, if that's the design of your basement, the building department may let it slide and let you keep it the way it is. Stairs are tough and expensive to reposition.

I was very surprised at the quality of our stairs that the local shop built. For the price point, I wouldn't do it. I did however have to install them.

I am "building" stairs right now. It's complicated, lots of things to think about (that I initially thought about wrong). Been working on them for awhile now, work keeps getting in the way of completing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the stairs - The angled ones are all sorts of hacked together. I really should have looked at more how-tos instead of just assuming it will all work out.

Really don't want anyone who knows what they are doing to inspect them. I have a few stringers to clean up still on the far side.

Just need to install railings and it will finally be done. The before pictures are in post 845 above.

despite the picture, the deck and stairs are actually (close) to level). Just need to install railings and I can be done with this piece. And then it's so much trash removal.

http://i.imgur.com/MM7wo3c.jpg

Edited by Rhitter

After doing this - I am pretty sure I never will again. It takes up so much time. Inside of my house has drywall work that needs to be done. Pretty sure I am going to pay someone to do that.

This is my first house and my wife was mostly not working (and won't work in 2 months), so I have to try and save money where I can (especially if I want to keep spending money on car parts)

^^ I have a texture gun if you want to borrow it. I used it for almost all the rooms in my old house because they had wallpaper, so I have both resurfaced existing drywall and prepped new drywall for texture. It's not that hard, and not as time consuming as you would expect.

• 2 weeks later...
^^ I have a texture gun if you want to borrow it. I used it for almost all the rooms in my old house because they had wallpaper, so I have both resurfaced existing drywall and prepped new drywall for texture. It's not that hard, and not as time consuming as you would expect.

Got tired of it dragging on. Paid to have the walls taped and textured. One guy did the work in 9 hours. Way faster than I ever could have. Glad to have that done. Still need to floor repair.

Did a lot of work this weekend. Preped the yard for wood chips / bark. Moved 4 yards of bark, painted interior walls, primed the ceiling, and finished the railing.

Finished railings.

http://i.imgur.com/wMeZf80.jpg

Edited by Rhitter

The stairs used to go down the other side and there were only three stringers. I used them as a template to cut all my stringers. It just so happened that by chance it kind of lined up with the patio.

I sort of winged it making this whole thing. A lot of areas that could have benefited from actually planning.

I reused a lot of what was already there, like the railings, which are too low per California code, so no, no permits. Pretty sure they would make me pull down the stringers on the right that attach to the patio and redo them. I made them solid with screws and reinforcement boards, but they are not to code....

My goal is safe, solid, and feels level. That was met :D.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wrapping up buying my first house! Hopefully won't have much to post in this thread, cause it's a recently rehabbed house (2007). Closing is scheduled for 10/14 and looks like we'll hit that on time.

Pretty standard sized Baltimore rowhome. 2 bed/1 bath upstairs, with finished basement and full bath. Probably gonna charge $800 for the upstairs room and $700 for the basement, which'll leave me paying about the same $700 as I pay now to rent a room in a 3 bdrm house.

Has a parking pad, which I'm ridiculously excited about. Aside from the actual ease of parking, it'll be nice to be able to wash my car and do some basic maintenance without going to my mom's house. Also, I'll finally have space (and storage) to get a propane burner for all-grain brewing!

http://i.imgur.com/vy8JxYY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dEMxTwV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LMhIHwx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HLXBX5G.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/28LolWm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PzskVoS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EuWUpNw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QpdhYlt.jpg