CapnJack

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sill plate. ;)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/soleplate

1: the lower plate of a studded partition on which the bases of the studs but

My foundation looks like this which is why I have been calling it a soleplate.

http://www.sweethaven02.com/BldgConst/Bldg02/fig0801.jpg

Edited by Rhitter

• I Donated
I thought you were allowed to use GFCI's on ungrounded circuits (instead of two prong outlets)

I don't think so. But I could be wrong.

To clean up what they did and I haven't settled on if I'll stop here. I installed a junction box and brought all the copper wires into the junction box and clamped them all together with a split bolt. I extended the 8awg on the left upper to reach the 8awg coming from the sole plate. The mess of what looks like 14awg copper is all one wire that's just looped around itself a bunch is also now clamped into the split bolt. I haven't yet cut any of the connections to length so it's still pretty messy. But, it's better than what it was.

Why not cut the existing ungrounded cloth-sheathed Romex coming from the panel to the first two outlets you mentioned as close to where it enters the wall from the basement as possible, put in a new junction box there with the Romex going up to those outlets wirenutted off, bring new 14/2 grounded Romex from the panel to this box, and then tie the cloth-sheathed Romex into the box?

I don't think so. But I could be wrong.

Why not cut the existing ungrounded cloth-sheathed Romex coming from the panel to the first two outlets you mentioned as close to where it enters the wall from the basement as possible, put in a new junction box there with the Romex going up to those outlets wirenutted off, bring new 14/2 grounded Romex from the panel to this box, and then tie the cloth-sheathed Romex into the box?

Short answer, I am afraid of messing with the configuration too much. If I mimic what is there at least I know it will work....I have more reading to do before I add new circuits.

I had an electrician look at my panel and he mentioned there is plenty of room for new circuits. But when he looked at it he mentioned something about the breakers being over sized or something and there was a smaller size that would fit and free up space. He quoted $660 to bring a dedicated bathroom circuit a total of like 5 feet (15 feet of wiring)

Right now, trying to get the kitchen back into a usable form soonish. I want to make what I have is safe and really know what I am doing before I reconfigure.

Now I see your picture Mack, I had never heard the term sole plate. Got it now. Sill (or sill plate) is sitting on the foundation, sole plate is sitting on the subfloor.

This is all completely new to me. Anything I do is frantic Googling trying to find the right terms / guidance on what I want to do.

My wife thinks she will be good at dry walling so looking forward to putting all those tips to use.

Edited by Rhitter

• I Donated
Short answer, I am afraid of messing with the configuration too much. If I mimic what is there at least I know it will work....I have more reading to do before I add new circuits.

It wouldn't be a new circuit, just a reconfiguration of the existing one.think of it this way: you're rewiring everything in the circuit in exactly the order they were in before, except you're branching the two outlets you can't get to from the other side of that part of the circuit and terminating the original run from them to the breaker panel.

I had an electrician look at my panel and he mentioned there is plenty of room for new circuits. But when he looked at it he mentioned something about the breakers being over sized or something and there was a smaller size that would fit and free up space.

Yeah, they make breakers that are "double breakers" -- two switches on one module. Unfortunately, my breaker panel is almost exclusively double breakers now, and I only have one slot left. :( I think I might need to run a subpanel next to the existing main panel when I get my additions done. I'm not going to overwhelm the 200 amp service, I just have too many branch circuits that aren't driving that much.

• I Donated

Bored at work...

Yeah, they make breakers that are "double breakers" -- two switches on one module. Unfortunately, my breaker panel is almost exclusively double breakers now, and I only have one slot left. :( I think I might need to run a subpanel next to the existing main panel when I get my additions done. I'm not going to overwhelm the 200 amp service, I just have too many branch circuits that aren't driving that much.

I found my solution. Four slots down to two with this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-Type-BR-BQC-Quadplex-Circuit-Breaker-two-40A-2-pole-breakers-BQC240240/100557207

Gives me room for three more tandem breakers (six 110V circuits total) in my panel.

• I Donated
I just tried those in my square d panel. Didn't fit (apparently there are different fitments within a product line). So.... im gonna replace the sub panel this summer. Maybe go 200a too.

I would hope that a Westinghouse/Bryant breaker wouldn't fit in a Square-D panel! :lol:

In all seriousness, there should be a diagram on the inside of the door for the panel that tells you which slots allow tandem breakers. My panel allows tandem breakers in all slots. :D

• 2 weeks later...

My efforts to replace CFL's with LED's throughout my house has moved to the garage... Replaced 4 bulbs with the T8 LED direct replacement bulbs for the overhead fluorescents. I still have four more bulbs out there (secondary lights when I need them)... The lights are amazing. For $10 a piece, I wont have to deal with replacements every year or so, cold start issues (despite having cold start ballasts), and enviro hazards when/if one breaks.

I got most of the lights in the house replaced, with the exception of the finished basement. I have like 32 can lights down there. That's an expensive endeavor. LOL

After a CFL broke within a few feet of my kid last year, I decided it wasn't worth it. Those things are loaded with nasty shit. Plus, I was sick of the slow starts, etc.

/rant

• I Donated

Yeah, I am at mostly LED bulbs except the basement and attic. Garage has been all LED for a while. The only ones I have left are incandescents in the two ceiling fans in the non-master bedrooms and in the hall bathroom, halogens in our vanity fixtures in the bathroom and in the under-cabinet lighting in the kitchen, and a couple CFLs in lamps we never turn on.

Basement is mostly T8 tubes. We have five 4x2 fixtures with four T8s each, plus two 2x2s with the bent T8s. So those will probably stay as-is until I move to cans.

We converted 90% of the house to LEDs after our first summer there when the incandescents just added to the miserable heat, causing our already-28-year-old AC unit to run even more. It seemed like a worthwhile investment just to keep the hours off of the AC unit, improve our comfort, and reduce our energy bill (even though bulbs are expensive). In the almost 2 years we've been in the house I think only 2 have burned out, but I just returned those back to Home Depot for new bulbs with fresh warranties (just make sure you keep the UPC code)

I promise you that I have not kept any upc codes. LOL

I have however, started to have receipts emailed to me, which is a great feature. You set it up once at the pin pad, and you're done. Then just create a folder in your email, and keep 'em all.

nah... it can only be used against you

Says the man that changes his on a weekly basis to avoid getting tracked.

Hopefully you won't be unfortunate enough to accidentally get the SSN of Charles Manson.

:hide:

453747.png