LegacyGT.com

Thickest/widest possible sidewall for LGT?

Brock Landers

This is maybe a weird question but wondering if anybody can help: what would be the thickest (or widest) sidewalled tire (wondering about both snow tires and all-season) we can put on our Legacy GT's?

My 2006 wagon is on the recommended 215/45-17's, but due to the awful local roads, i'm thinking a tire with a thicker sidewall may be more forgiving (i.e. it would hopefully further minimize blowouts and offer a slightly cushier ride). The current standard wheel/tire combo on my car seems to fill the wheel well right up, so I may be out of luck for a thicker sidewall, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks in advance for any input!

BL

Obligatory "search/read the stickied threads" comment.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-offsets-sizes-rims-and-tires-gt-xenonk-version-4426.html

Many people (myself included) run a 225/45-17 on the stock wheels with no issues. I'm even lowered on Cobb springs and they never rub.

Thanks, TRS. I had previously seen the aforementioned sticky thread, but the sizing info, while obviously incredibly thorough, was a little confusing.

Good to know re: the 225/45 size. Is that for both summer and winter setups (if you have both)?

Thanks again,

BL

I'm running Conti DWS, all year round. I doubt I can clear tire chains, though.

I like the added size of the 225's as it also protects the rim from curb damage.

Great, thanks for the info. Yeah, the curb damage factor is the other main reason I'm looking to upgrade to 225's.

I am quite sure that both 205/50 and 225/45 have almost identical sidewall.

I do not have experience with anything but 215/45R17 and 225/45R17 however I think the size is not that different and biggest difference in ride will be attributed to model of the tire or pressure.

Krzys

205/50 has a little taller sidewall, but my General Altimax fit the LGT wheels perfectly and look good on the car. They also do ride better than 225/45's, but don't handle corners quite as well.

I do not have experience with anything but 215/45R17 and 225/45R17 however I think the size is not that different and biggest difference in ride will be attributed to model of the tire or pressure.

Krzys

Thanks Kryzs, I just re-read my question to you and saw it made no sense -but you figured out what I was trying to ask. Noted there isn't much difference in sidewall height between the two tires.

Thanks again,

BL

205/50 has a little taller sidewall, but my General Altimax fit the LGT wheels perfectly and look good on the car. They also do ride better than 225/45's, but don't handle corners quite as well.

Thanks Mattg, very good to know. Smoother ride and pothole resistance have become higher priorities for me than out-and-out cornering ability, at least until Montreal decides to put more money into their roads, so 205/50's sound like they may work very well for me in the future.

Cheers,

BL

this. Those two tires do have a nearly identical overall diameter, and they are both a bit taller than 215/45.

tirerack is very good for figuring stuff like this out. pick a tire, go to specs. it lists all the sizes available, tread width, diameter, recommended rim width, etc. for example:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+V4+ES+H105

a 215/50 might not even be a bad idea (although the speedo will be slightly off).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived