LegacyGT.com

Tow hook

Two weeks ago I pulled an older gentleman's Lincoln out of a ditch that he went into. We used a bunch of towing equipment that his neighbor had. The neighbor had a truck, but he wasn't there so his wife let us use his stuff lol. We bolted largeish u-hooks to the tow mounts on the front of my car and use those to hook the tow straps to it.

Idk what brand they were though. They fit perfectly. I've been waiting until I'm in that area again to go ask him. Because I wanted to buy some. But, I'm sure they can be found anywhere fairly easily..

The only problem with using the one underneath the rear bumper, is just that. And you see it in the film. You put all the stress on that one side of the car and your car always pivots at that point. It happens if you pull, or get pulled. There really needs to be a second anchor point or a trailer hitch back there.. I've been wanted to do that for a while now.

what would a hitch weight, 30 to 40 lbs at the absolute most?

I'm sure it's not terrifically heavy, but remember that it sits pretty far over the rear wheels, so that weight is exaggerated by a larger moment arm. I don't pretend to be counting every lb on my car (what with adding sound deadener and stuff) but it's still a noticeable addition.

for the front most people attach it to their bumper beam, which requires cutting a part of the bumper and drilling into the bumper beam. My personal favorite is the one that attaches to teh strut tower, and people cut a hole in their hood for it :)

The rear just bolts up to where the stock tow hook is. That's what that little bracket is.

Archived