LegacyGT.com

Shift Knob Install Fail

Nedrex

Nice, thanks for the tip on the thread size. Here's a pic of the carnage:

Wow. Who in their right mind would use a universal shift knob? :facepalm: Glad you're getting it worked out. The Cobb DA STS is an incredible STS (IMO the best one out there for the LGT), hang on to it, because they don't make them anymore. :)

Actually, the threads at the periphery of the divots don't look to torn up. You can probably just go ahead and screw your new knob onto that without any issue.

I wouldn't take the time to cut the top of the shifter off. It'll take longer than running a die over the threads.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yeah, it is shorter than it was before since the crappy universal knob was sitting right at the top of the shaft. The cobb knob threads down about 3/4" onto the shaft so it sits lower.

Believe it or not, I actually adjusted the shifter to be longer than it was before during the re-installation. We'll see how it feels on the drive home tonight, if needs be it's easy enough to adjust it.

Yeah, it is shorter than it was before since the crappy universal knob was sitting right at the top of the shaft. The cobb knob threads down about 3/4" onto the shaft so it sits lower.

Believe it or not, I actually adjusted the shifter to be longer than it was before during the re-installation. We'll see how it feels on the drive home tonight, if needs be it's easy enough to adjust it.

If you have the Cobb Dual Adjustible STS, you can adjust from the bottom as well. The top adjuster isn't the only adjustment area.

Let us know how you like the cobb knob ( :lol: ), I've been considering one. :)

Update on the Cobb knob: so far so good! The delrin is a much better material for this purpose than aluminum. Even on mornings with below freezing temperatures, it has been easy to shift without my hand getting overly cold. Aside from that the figment of the knob to the boot is perfect and the overall size of the knob is just right!

Archived