LegacyGT.com

Issues - Installation of Kenwood Kos-V500

EJH

I bought a Kenwood KOS-V500 processor, after tearing a horrible Alpine Imprint processor out of my system. The Kenwood basically has the same wiring concept, in that is accepts the speaker inputs from the factory system. I installed it with the SVXdc (sp?) wiring harness that I used with my Alpine system, and have RCA outs to an Alpine amp. I wired the harness so that the factory harness is powering both the factory radio and the Kenwood processor. However, nothing is happening when I turn on my ignition - the factory radio powers on but not the processor.

I see in the instruction manual that the system has an "A" or "B" for powering the system that either incorporates the factory harness or a separate battery source, respectively. My question is, do I need to choose between an option "A" or "B", or wire both? Right now I have the yellow battery constant and red ignition wired directly to the harness, but I don't have the included and separate yellow battery harness wired to the processor. It would seem that the first would negate the need for the later, but maybe not? The Kenwood manual is truly awful! Does anyone have any experience with this installing this system?

I'm fairly confident that the processor is not getting power, since when I plug my iphone into the system it doesn't charge, and because my amp is not switching on. But any knowledge or help would be very much appreciated!

after studying the installation manual, it looks like the supplemental power harness that I mentioned above its for the optional display, which I don't have installed yet. Now I'm thinking that maybe the issue is that I didn't install the parking sensor wire? I figured that my Alpine processor didn't have it, and b/c I'm not installing a DVD it's a non-issue for me. But now I'm thinking that it needs to be installed to close the switch?

Anyone out there have any experience with this??? Anyone....?

ok...the tread full of my own posts, sorry everyone. But after thinking it over, here's what I'm wondering is the issue:

The car's factory harness is currently powering both the factory headunit and the new Kenwood unit. In other words, I wired the 12v constant wire (yellow), ignition wire (red) and ground wire (black) from the Kenwood unit to the SVDX harness. The Kenwood instructions call for yellow and red wires to be wired to the fuse box, but I figured this wasn't necessary because my alpine unit was powered through the factory harness. However, this unit pulls much more power than the Alpine since it's a processor, built in amplifier and system expansion unit, and so it's not drawing enough juice from the factory harness, especially since it's also powering the factory headunit.

Does anyone agree with me here? I kind of feel like and idiot - this must be the issue!

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has experience with this unit or can offer advise I'd appreciate it.

Basically, here's my setup: OEM headunit speaker out -> Kenwood processor via SVXdc harness -> amp via RCAs -> speakers

I ran through the wiring harness with a voltmeter and confirmed the 12v constant, ignition and ground are all wired properly. I also confirmed that the speakers are all wired property to the processor, and that the RCA outs are sending a signal to my amp, and that my amp is switching on. However, I'm still not getting any sound or even feedback from my speakers.

One huge pain in the butt/problem is that I don't have the optional monitor, and the instruction manual only shows you how to setup with the monitor attached. I took it to a shop here in Pittsburgh that was as useless (they told me this processor doesn't support OEM integration, despite that Crutchfield, Kenwood, etc. state otherwise, and other forum members have installed it in their cars). So, I don't even feel like I have the option of taking it to an "expert."

Does anyone have any ideas of possible problems that I can chase down or other tips?

Thanks,

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

Archived