LegacyGT.com

Review: Nokian Hakkapeliita Rs (First Snow)

AFig36

Had the chance to take these through their first snow today ('11 3.6R). There was less than 3" on the ground, and the storm had already turned to sleet by the time I got out on the road this morning. The centers of the roads had been mostly plowed, but there was a layer of sleet/slush present.

As a result, my "test" was less about the ability of the tires to push through anything (need at least 10" for that), and more about stopping capabilities and lateral grip.

First impressions are that the tires perform superbly. I tested the stopping capabilities on downward slopes, and on roads that gave me trouble a year ago in my Impreza with stock Potenzas. Short of just slamming on the brakes for no reason, the ability of the Nokians to stop on snow/slush/ice is pretty close to stopping on dry roads.

What impressed me most, though, is the lateral grip. The edges on these tires are very sharp. These tires just do a great job of keeping you in your lane. At normal (and +normal) speeds, the cornering and handling abilities are very strong--just shy of dry road conditions with quick recovery when there's any slippage.

Check out the short video below. As a preface--no, it doesn't show anything great. I was trying to do this with one hand on the wheel and the other holding my camera.

Hopefully the next storm is very large, and I can make better videos.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtxYhHhxT6E]First Snow - Subaru Legacy 3.6R with Nokian Hakkapeliitta Rs - YouTube[/ame]

Archived