LegacyGT.com

cleaning dirty oil/ dirty engine

Hello Fellow Subaru Lovers-

I recently rescued a 96 legacy outback with 195K miles and it needs some love. It looks like the previous owners didn't really change the oil like they should have and I want to know how people are cleaning up the engine interior. There is some gunk on the oil cap and dipstick that was never there on my well-loved and recently buried 93 impreza.

My gearhead boyfriend suggests putting transmission fluid in the oil (like one quart) and running it like that for a little while before switching to synthetic oil, but I wanted a second opinion before I let him do this to my car.

All feedback and any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

I would stick to change oil with short interval 2-3 times, and you can use relatively cheap oil the first time and a better oil last time. Drive 500 to 1000 miles between changes.

If you can - also mount a magnetic oil plug and inspect it at every change for any residue.

Don't forget to change oil filter at every change.

The gunk on the cap is likely caused by condensation and is one indication of the car not being well maintained, but also that it may only have been driven short distances. It's a mix of condensed water and oil. (Don't confuse this with water in the oil in general which is a really bad thing)

Replacing spark plugs would probably be a good idea too.

453747.png

Like ehsnils said the gunk is moisture and oil mixing together. Dont flush the system out as if you loosen everything at once it will clog up any oil passages. You need to burn it out of the motor by driving the car and maintaining the car well. You will notice the car will pick up and get better as time goes on.

I had to do this on my 97 Brighton. The car sat for 4 years and when I got it and started driving it, the car was down on power. After a month or so the motor started responding better and now is running strong.

So your best bet is just to get the car up to date on everything and drive it. You might smell burning oil if you hop on it but once all that junk burns out it will be good. Whatever you do though dont use ATF or synthetic as it will eat away at anything that might be preventing leaks.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Thanks everyone for your input. We plan on replacing the spark plugs (and changing the brakes) this weekend, as well as changing the oil. Hoping to tune it up for a 6 hour trip on Feb 10...

• 2 weeks later...

although if you are not a patient person and wnat to flush the motor you can you just need to use the right products. dont just go to the parts store and use and off the shelf engine flush. if the engine is trully sludged the best thing to use would be Engine Purge by BG products. its not cheap costs about $80 for the fluid but works well. if sludging is not to bad then find a dealer that carrys BG products and performs BG performance oil changes.

make sure you do find a reputiple shop that will actually do the service correctly.

the performance oil change process

-run 109 in the engine at operating temp for 10 mins, which cleans ring lands and cleans minor sludging

-drain oil as usual

-then a IV looking machine is connected where the oil filter goes and air is forced into the oil passages to push out all old oil, normally on a subi and extra 1/2 qt of oil is drained compared to standard oil change

-then 1 can of BG MOA and 1 qt of oil is injected into the engine in the same manner, so that the engine is not started dry

-reinstall filter and drain plug

-drop car back down and fill with oil

i would also look into their air induction svc.

-includes cleaning of intake runners, throttle plate, valves and combustion chamber

-kit also includes BG 44k which goes into the gas tank which cleans injectors and further cleans valves and combustion chambers

these items do work i have used them on my own vehicles and have done tare downs before and after services.

Archived