LegacyGT.com

MPG Display jumps around

I have an 05 LGT, and the MPG display constantly jumps around and eventually finds its way to 99 MPG. I've read about a bunch of display problems in my searching, but nobody seems to have this one. It's always on, always bright, but never even close. I realize it's not that accurate, but I'd love to have it working properly. Any ideas?

The consensus is that my average MPG has never moved from 21.0 since I bought the car three months ago despite a mix of hard and gentle driving, and I still think that it's not working properly. The real-time MPG bounces around anywhere between 0 and 99 and does not seem to respond to throttle input, and continues to bounce around when I'm sitting still sometimes. Other times it settles on 99 which makes sense.

Also the outside temp gauge is always at 19, day or night. I don't think it's actually been above 15 degrees in a week, and it's way lower at night. I've pretty much written the display off as a part that will never work right unless I pay to have it fixed, which is low on the priority list.

The consensus is that my average MPG has never moved from 21.0 since I bought the car three months ago despite a mix of hard and gentle driving, and I still think that it's not working properly. The real-time MPG bounces around anywhere between 0 and 99 and does not seem to respond to throttle input, and continues to bounce around when I'm sitting still sometimes. Other times it settles on 99 which makes sense.

Like noted above, reset your trip odometer (long press & hold on odometer button) and do some gentle driving on the highway (I would reset it WHILE driving 60 mph under light load on the highway just to verify). Your AVG MPG should come on after a mile or two. Don't watch the instant MPG, it'll just depress you (under normal driving). :lol:

If you find that it's not working properly, you could check your local junk yards for one out of a wrecked car, or keep an eye on the classified section here for a display to pop up (you may have to purchase the whole cubby as they're not split up often).

On my 07 you have to reset the trip a or trip b for the mpg to reset

Like wengermi says, if you have 1000's of miles on your trip odometer, it'll take LOTS of driving a certain way to have an impact on your AVG MPG.

Like wengermi says, if you have 1000's of miles on your trip odometer, it'll take LOTS of driving a certain way to have an impact on your AVG MPG.

I think you might be right about that, as it's still reading mid 20's and I don't think I'm getting that on the mountain roads that I drive.

Archived