LegacyGT.com

Bad Alternator?

Ohitsspencer

Got up this morning and went to go start my car, but it followed by having absolutely nothing happen. I couldn't even unlock my doors with the key fob. I took my battery in to WalMart where it was originally purchased 5 months ago to have it tested. It tested out better than it should have. Does this sound like a bad alternator to you guys? If so, anyone local have any experience in swapping them out? I found a How-To-ish, but it would be nice for some local tips or help. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Spencer

Alternator has nothing to do with starting the car. If the battery was fine, then you had a bad connection to the battery if you couldn't even unlock he doors.

That's what I was thinking. When I reinstalled the battery, it was getting power(unlocked, interior lights, dash lights, etc.) but as soon as I tried to start it, it completely dies again. Could it just be the connectors? When I replaced the battery in August, the connectors were really corroded, but I had sprayed stuff on it and it cleaned it up.

I could try replacing the connectors. Have you done this before? Is it pretty self explanatory?

Just make sure there's metal touching metal on the terminals. If there's rust or battery acid buildup, get a metal wire brush and clean it off.

Several years ago I had a Wal-Mart battery go bad in less than a year. It was their "top of the line" one, too.

I got the car to start about 5 minutes ago. I am still letting it run, then I will attempt to start it again. I had unhooked the battery again this morning, cleaned it off the best I could with some steel wire. It took 3 tries to get it started. When I rev it now at idle, it'll drop to where it's almost dead, and then it will go back up to idle revs. I will turn it off and try starting it up again here in a few minutes.

Archived