LegacyGT.com

Oil Leak and Smoke coming from Under the Hood

I recently changed oil. After driving more than 500 miles, car started dripping alot of oil and there is smoke coming out of the hood every time i drive the car more than 10 minutes. I have no idea what caused this, i haven't clearly looked underneath the car yet. Before the oil change, the oil used to drip but very little, which i thought was normal for a 15 year old car.

What do you guys think can cause this?

year, model, trans, miles, engine?????????

1996 Legacy L Automatic with 136k on it. Mechanic said the timing belt, water pump has to be changed and the oil is dripping from some seals close to the crankshaft pulley and that can break the belts. I have no idea where he was leading the problem to. Ill be going to another mechanic and see if he can give me a straight answer.

On that car I would suspect the valve cover first (happened to me in my 1997 Outback), but generally that shows up as oil all over one of your wheels/wheel wells.

If it's really from the front timing belt area - it's probably the oil pump/crank seal.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

1996 Legacy L Automatic with 136k on it. Mechanic said the timing belt, water pump has to be changed and the oil is dripping from some seals close to the crankshaft pulley and that can break the belts. I have no idea where he was leading the problem to. Ill be going to another mechanic and see if he can give me a straight answer.

Your mechanic is probably being honest with you. It could be your valve cover gaskets, oil pump seal, cam seals, or crankshaft seal... But if you are replacing your timing belt and water pump, then you can replace all of those seals at the same time and be good to go for a long time. Replace your camshaft support o-rings too while you are at it. None of this stuff is too hard to replace on your own and you will save a bunch of money. All of the parts/seals are inexpensive. We are glad to help if you decide to do it on your own.

• 2 weeks later...
i also had a oil leak ended up being a cam seal replaced those as well as the crank seal,drivers cam o-ring ,water pump and all timing parts. after than i noticed the smell of oil still looked around and it ended up being the cam o-ring on the passenger side rear of the motor.

Archived