LegacyGT.com

cat back exhaust for power

mightyS

Does anyone have dyno graphs showing the difference in power from using various cat back exhaust systems? Some use 2.5 inch mid pipes and others use 3 inch. Then some use a Y pipe at the rear while others have more of a T pipe with 90 degree angles. Once a catless up-pipe and a high flow catted down pipe is used, does the type of cat back exhaust matter?

the stock cat back has been proven to be extremely efficient. The need for a full 3'' exhaust is not needed for a daily driven car. Most cat backs i have seen have a 3'' midpipe that funnels down to 2.5". It should not be a deal breaker for you when looking for an exhaust. The gains are minimal. The only reason to have a full 3" TBE is if you got a turbo that is pushing some serious air/exhaust which I doubt you are doing.

Thanks for the comments. It seems the stock cat back flows well since it splits into 2 mufflers

I have been at using the stock turbo and an AVO tmic. Now I am going with a FP 68HTA Legacy GT style turbo. It is rated at 47 lbs/min. I was just wondering if the tuners here have seen gains using aftermarket cat back exhaust systems compared to the stock.

Thanks for the comments. It seems the stock cat back flows well since it splits into 2 mufflers

I have been at using the stock turbo and an AVO tmic. Now I am going with a FP 68HTA Legacy GT style turbo. It is rated at 47 lbs/min. I was just wondering if the tuners here have seen gains using aftermarket cat back exhaust systems compared to the stock.

If you want to maximize your performance gains with your new turbo, you'll need a CBE. CBEs have shown gains on even stock cars.

People's issues with performance add-ons like this are the dollar per hp cost. Not every add on will net you $ per hp gains like going stage 1 OS.

People also overlook the fact that an aftermarket CBE is a lot lighter than stock.

Archived