LegacyGT.com

Is this possible? Nav, multimedia question

sadd16

I have a 2006 LGT

I have a Pioneer X920BT

I want to put the deck where that din pocket is. I also want to maintain the stock steering wheel controls for the radio and also be able to use the car's stock volume/radio buttons because I kinda like the big buttons for ease of access.

Is there a way to do this?

Also, if I am able to put this deck where the stock din pocket is, where can I mount the LCD display that shows the clock, temp, gas mileage, etc.

You should do a search. All these have been done before.

You can mount a dual din receiver where the cubby is, but in my opinion it looks like shit. I believe AVO sells an "info panel relocation kit" that moves the clock panel down to where the ashtray is (you obviously lose the ashtray and power source there).

As for steering wheel controls, you would need to get a PAC system (google it) to keep those with your new Head Unit.

I still say go with the JDM Dual Din kit from AVO and put the radio in the stock location.

It's just hard to justify spending so much to get the JDM double din kit, and that's the only reason it's stopping me from getting it. With shipping and everything to canada, it's like more than 400 bucks.

So I'm trying to think of other options.

PAC system, I heard about that but thought that was only with the steering wheel controls. If I had gone with a setup where I had the pioneer deck where the din pocket is, i would still want to be able to control my pioneer deck with both the stock stereo controls and steering wheel controls. But didn't know if that would be possible.

It's just hard to justify spending so much to get the JDM double din kit, and that's the only reason it's stopping me from getting it. With shipping and everything to canada, it's like more than 400 bucks.

So I'm trying to think of other options.

PAC system, I heard about that but thought that was only with the steering wheel controls. If I had gone with a setup where I had the pioneer deck where the din pocket is, i would still want to be able to control my pioneer deck with both the stock stereo controls and steering wheel controls. But didn't know if that would be possible.

You'll be spending close to $250 to put it in the cubby area (depending on if you want it done cleanly or not, and if you want the info panel relocated to the ashtray).

And no, I don't believe you would be able to use your stock stereo controls to control the aftermarket head unit. You could utilize your steering wheel controls, but you'll have to buy a PAC unit designed to work with your head unit and the LGT.

Most people chose to put their head units in the cubby location because the JDM dual din kit wasn't an option at the time. Dwolson was the one who figured it out, and since he posted up his thread a few years ago, I don't think I've seen anyone go with a cubby install (although I could have missed it). Keep an eye out in the classified section, used ones go up for sale from time to time.

The Axxess ASWC is another steering wheel interface module. Works with all aftermarket HU brands and the firmware can be updated. Better than the PAC units, IMO.

There's no practical way to rig up the factory radio's buttons to control an aftermarket radio.

You can only connect your steering wheel controls (SWCs) to either an aftermarket radio (via an ASWC or PAC interface module), or to the factory radio. Yes, you could build an A-B switch to select whether the SWCs control the new or factory HU, but probably not worth the effort.

See this thread for one person's "cubby install":

Archived