LegacyGT.com

Confused stg 2 "TUNE"

lee07

So I'm going to have a catless DP and catless up pipe on my 05 manual lgt. After the install of the pipes do I reflash the AP v1 to stage 2 and will that be my "tune" or will I have to go to a tuner to get a tune. The AP v1 stage 2 isn't the "tune" already? Car would still have the stock CBE though. If I do need to go to a tuner how much will that end up to be?

Load the Accessport Stg 2 map and you will be ok. The map though is just an off the shelf map designed for all cars that are stage 2. A pro tune will perform better because it will be dialed into your specific parts, car, and other variable aspects like weather, altitude etc. The ots map wont be that dialed in.

IMHO wait on the install of the parts, sell the access port and use the money towards an opensource tune whether its from a local tuner or an etune (infamous does them on here). You will be happier

Thanks for the help, so I can install both pipes and flash to stage 2 with no worries/problems down the road, right? Sot a tune from a tuner would be better but not necessary? Last one when I delete the CEL for the catless DP using the AP it won't come back anymore after this?

Thanks for the help, so I can install both pipes and flash to stage 2 with no worries/problems down the road, right? Sot a tune from a tuner would be better but not necessary? Last one when I delete the CEL for the catless DP using the AP it won't come back anymore after this?

install pipes, flash, and drive. particular cel's are disabled once flashed.

if you have the option for a protune, DO IT. the powerband is usually smoother and you will gain, sometimes more than 20whp over the ap maps. ap maps are rich because, well, they dont know how your car is going to respond....they are conservative to essentially be used on any LGT 05-06, 07+ so you can imagine the mediocrity of the maps. os tuning will be smoother and yes, you will gain noticeable power. This is mainly tuning with wideband AFR simultaneously, most e-tunes are also rich....depends on the tuner. A good os tune will be an improvement.

Can I flash to stage 2 using the AP for several months/years then when I have money go and get a protune? How much do they usually end up to be? $300, $100? What should I expect to run in the 1/4 mile with only DP, UP and with Ap stage 2 on stock turbo and stock exhaust? mid to low 13's?

If spending a few hundred dollars is an issue for you, then your safest bet is NOT to install any parts on your car, leave it as is! Don't do it half-assed and install parts but then cheap out on the tune or have no tune at all, you are just asking for trouble. Halfway through my stg 2 tune my clutch started slipping, so I had to buy a new one and have it installed right away.

When you try and do things the cheapest way possible, you usually wind up spending more in the long run. I know this is not what you were looking to hear, but it is the best advice I can give to someone in your situation.

I would sell that AP immediately(the money will help cover the cost of tuning), figure out what tuning method you want to use, make arrangements to have the car tuned as soon as the parts are installed, let the car, and you, be happy!

tactrix.com, using a laptop or netbook you can switch maps easily. For the price of a netbook and a tactrix, you'll still be less than a new AP price, with the increased range of adjustability and diagnostics.

So you dont have to have an AP to do a professional tune? If not how do you flast the car back to stock for a dealership visit?

Laptop and tactrix cable as mentioned....you can get the cheaper cable if you have an 05-06. If you are comfortable using computers, you can flash/log very easily...if not that is where the AP comes in handy for an additional cost. I think the most difficult part of my tuning was getting the laptop and car communicating as I didn't have the right definition for my car. Aside from that, you just need to copy some files from romraider into the folders on the computer, if you are good with that it is a good option, if not there is always the AP.

I'll go have a tuner install the both pipes and get her tuned for around $500+/-. Just wasn't sure how much a tune was here until I called so I'll get it tuned when the parts come. BTW anyone have an used/new catless up pipe for sale? Got an DP just want a up pipe.

truth. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/OBD2-Diagnostic-Cable-KKL409-1-VAG-COM/dp/B002WIN8VQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326132480&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: OBD2 OBD II Diagnostic USB Cable For KKL409.1 VAG-COM 409: Camera & Photo[/ame]

this is the one i use for ppl with 05-06 lgt's

Archived