LegacyGT.com

Whining Sound - Pump Issue?

Trying to head off a potential problem before I get stuck somewhere. I've noticed this sound coming from the underside of the engine bay. Noticed it a few days ago, and then again today. It's intermittent (5 minutes after this video was taken, it was gone) but I can't tell under what circumstances. The car was already warmed up when this video was taken, so I don't think it's a cold engine noise. It sounds like some sort of pump is failing or running dry. No lights on the dash and no other symptoms other than this sound. Any thoughts? What's located under the engine in such a way that you don't really even hear the noise from the top?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AxrHF4zVds]1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5L Whining Noise - YouTube[/ame]

Hrm. I would say it's the water pump but they're generally quite a bit louder than that when they start going out. Probably the oil pump, unfortunately. :(
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Sure. I suppose it most definitely could. Have you gotten the car up high enough to get under while it's running? You should be able to determine the area it's coming from from there. Definitely worth a shot before buying parts you might not need.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

It won't be the power steering pump. Mine's whining and on it's way out. You would definitely here it from the top of the engine. I'm gonna say it one of the timing belt pulley's, and most likely the tensioner pulley. You won't here any of those pulley's making any noise from the top of the engine because of the noises coming from all the accessory pulley's. It could also be the water pump on it's way out.

Archived