LegacyGT.com

WRX Brake Swap

I am going to be doing an install of coilovers and my stainless steel brakelines soon, and I know I need to get new calipers....so I figured while I am at it I might as well do the WRX brake swap as well.

Curious, what would I need to buy when I do this swap?

I am looking to buy all of these new from an auto store...

So would I just purchase the 03? WRX front caliper set, 03? WRX front rotor set, and 03? WRX front pad set?

I would like to know too. Hey lulz, are you going to replace your rears as well? H6 swap? Not to threadjack, but to keep all this in one place... if anyone has an opinion regarding buying used calipers and rebuilding them vs. just buying new it would be appreciated.

Yeah, you can easily swap H6 rotors using your original rear calipers.

Here is another good (lol) question. Semi-loaded vs. loaded calipers? Sometimes the loaded calipers are cheaper, but is it worth it? With loaded calipers you get pads, but if you want to get fancy pads then why bother.

^ Yes you are correct. It is a very easy and cheap swap. Not to discourage but I have heard it is not night and day because the master cylinder on most subaru's are kinda soft. But since you need new stuff anyways it cannot hurt.

What size WRX brakes are you talking about doing here? Are they even going to make a significant difference from the stock brakes?
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

I have the wrx/h6 brakes. How easy the swap is depends on year.

Front:

If you have a 97-99 GT, then all it takes is the bracket and rotor- calipers and pads are the same. If you have a 90-96, or a car with 1-pots, you need everything.

Rear:

The rear caliper and bracket are different on the 2nd gens than the ~99/00+ models. The older cars have a bracket with a pin sticking out of it that goes through the caliper, with a bolt on the other end. If you want to do the H6 upgrade you have to get everything- caliper, bracket, rotor, and pads.

You also have to swap/remove the front dust shield and remove/bend/cut the rear dust shield.

Archived