LegacyGT.com

1998 Legacy Outback ABS Light

All,

I have a 1998 Legacy Outback. I noticed lately when driving at highway speeds after about 30 minutes the ABS light comes on. If I shut the car off and back on the ABS light stays on for about 15 seconds then goes off. The light never comes on with short drives, only after 30 minutes or more of driving at highway speeds. I noticed the other day when driving in cold conditions at 30-50 mph the light did not come on even after an hour (snow covered road behind a slow poke Jeep Wrangler :-)), but once I was able to go 55+ mph it came on after the 30-45 minutes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Troy

98-lgt,

Thanks for the response. Brake fluid level is fine, but it is my understanding from research that low brake fluid level would not cause the ABS light to come on, but rather the 'Brake' light. Perhaps I am mistaken? I'm a tech geek and not a car geek. :-)

Thanks!

-Troy

were these in snowy conditions that caused the light??

i have had issues with snow building up in the wheel wells and causing an ABS light.

remove each wheel and check the ABS sensor. they are magnetic and there may be ''junk'' on the tip.

Archived