LegacyGT.com

leaking valve cover

idk why but im leaking from the valve covers like crazy. ive tried tightening them even more but doesnt work. the valve cover rubber gaskets are new. the heads dont have anything wrong with them. why are they leaking so bad???? the rear main cam seals r in good. with permatex. how should i fix this? another new gasket + permatex around the whole thing? before it leaked 1qt a week. now its like 1qt an hr. its terrible!

The bolts used for the head covers are shouldered right? as they will only get in to far as to not crush the seal. if you can find bolts that are not shouldered then you technically could really crank on them and that valve cover should get right up the head. just an idea

A bad one!

Dont change out the bolts, subaru designed the valve covers that way for a reason. If you over tighten the bolts it will just leak out the seal for the bolt.

I bet it is leaking from somewhere else. A lot of times cam seals make it look like it is coming from the valve cover.

So when we are talking cam seals, do we mean the actual cam seals, or the cam cap seals (aka camshaft support o-rings found on EJ22s)? I just want to clarify for my own sake. Thanks.

leaking one qt. an hour sounds like a some thing got installed wrong, or pinched, or slipped out of place.

ej22 have both cam seal and cam cap o-rings. if you want to stop leaks you have to replace both.

ej25s 96 - 98 do not have cam cap o-rings, just the cam seals.

Archived