LegacyGT.com

Retrofiting Navigation into non-Nav Outback

Sioux-BRue

its usually not worth it, other than the fact that the stock nav dont have as good of a feature set as aftermarket, most nav equipped cars also have attention harnesses, sensors and other things that a non nav car doesnt have...meaning its way more work and expensive than just swapping in a nav headunit.

:)

its usually not worth it, other than the fact that the stock nav dont have as good of a feature set as aftermarket, most nav equipped cars also have attention harnesses, sensors and other things that a non nav car doesnt have...meaning its way more work and expensive than just swapping in a nav headunit.

:)

I believe people have swapped in a NAV unit to non-NAV cars. Both '05 (which had no pre-wiring), and '06+ which had pre-wiring.

Do multiple searches for NAV (get creative with your search terms OP). You'll find that it's easier to do on the '06+ cars, as everything is actually 'pre-wired' and all you need is the equipment (DVD drive, monitor, wiring to-from drive and monitor, and the antenna, etc). Please don't use that as an official list, it's just stuff I'm throwing out there off the top of my head. Look for a few threads, you should be able to find them doing a search or two.

Auto cars are prewired. My 09 LGT 5sp wasn't wired for the navi.

My 09 OBXT wasn't either.

I retrofitted anyway.

Then I ditched the OEM DVD based nav, and installed a Garmin module.

Now I have Garmin Turn-by-Turn and OEM fit/finish. Plus, rear view camera. All kinds of win.

The only thing it doesn't do, is speak directions which I would have turned off anyway.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I retrofitted anyway.

Then I ditched the OEM DVD based nav, and installed a Garmin module.

Now I have Garmin Turn-by-Turn and OEM fit/finish. Plus, rear view camera. All kinds of win.

The only thing it doesn't do, is speak directions which I would have turned off anyway.

Got pictures of your setup? Or a thread showing the install? Would love to see it, and see exactly how it's set up. :)

Auto cars are prewired. My 09 LGT 5sp wasn't wired for the navi.

Hmmm, Guess I was mistaken then (it was a while ago I read whatever thread it was). I thought I remembered a guy with an '07 5MT LGT said he had all the pre-wiring for the NAV. It sucks that all LGT's weren't pre-wired for it, and that it wasn't an option on all LGT's. Thanks again, Subaru. :lol:

Hmmm, Guess I was mistaken then (it was a while ago I read whatever thread it was). I thought I remembered a guy with an '07 5MT LGT said he had all the pre-wiring for the NAV. It sucks that all LGT's weren't pre-wired for it, and that it wasn't an option on all LGT's. Thanks again, Subaru. :lol:

I think the guy you are thinking of HAD the wiring (i.e. he had the harness out of a Navigation equipped car).

I posted some of my ventures here, but abandoned the writeup mostly after realizing how easy the retrofit was. I think I posted the most relevant info in my thread about it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yea the auto cars and the spec all use the same dash harness if I remember correctly and the 5mt cars are different. I wanted the oem name and well I installed it. It works alright for what I use it for so I'm not complaining lol

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

I think the guy you are thinking of HAD the wiring (i.e. he had the harness out of a Navigation equipped car).

I posted some of my ventures here, but abandoned the writeup mostly after realizing how easy the retrofit was. I think I posted the most relevant info in my thread about it.

I was more curious about how you integrated the Garmin module. What OEM pieces did you use?

Please do tell :) I hate that f#$^$#% OEM NAVI but I hate to have shit sticking to my windshield even more so your fix is a double win for me. Let us know how it's done.

Archived