LegacyGT.com

Radiation and Legacy's

thefishingone

You are going to hear opinions from all over the place on this. I suggest you research it yourself. You can rent a geiger counter here for a $100. Well worth it if you are seriously considering buying the car and you have real concerns:

I thought this was a good idea and so I rented it and checked a brand new Legacy 3.6R (2012) everywhere and there is NO hint of any radiation. Even all around the engine and trans! (made in Japan parts)

I just thought I would share for peace of mind, even though I think the point has already made. I was curious, so I also checked:

Basement (radon gas)

Cell phone during a call

Honda Pilot (US made)

Computer Monitor (LED flat panel)

Smoke detector

Outside lawn

NONE had any effect on the Geiger Counter. (same as ambient location, whic is never zero, by the way)

Well, the basement was slightly elevated, but as soon as the HVAC came on, it went right down. I checked for a good 20 minutes. (There are several modes, time lapsed which times in 1 or 5 minute intervals and tells you per hour what the exposure is and instant [1 sec]))

I learned a lot from this and it was fun!

Thankfully I only read post #1 and #26, did I miss anything? :lol:

A neat graphic?

http://xkcd.com/radiation/

Randall Munroe does all sorts of neat graphics to put things in perspective.

http://xkcd.com/980/

According to his chart, the Honda Insight and Fit are the cheapest cars to own for five years. Also, the estimated lifetime cost to simply buy a new car every 5000 miles instead of changing your oil is estimated to be around 3.27 million.

"why buy a car that has safe low levels of radiation when u can buy a car with no radiation"

You're wife knows that an engine is a controlled series of explosions right? So by that logic, why buy a gasoline powered car, when you can buy an electric one? The point I'm trying to make is that there are inherent risks with anything to do with cars. An engine that has a low level of radiation (a "low" level is an accepted level that does not cause or have a chance to cause harm to anyone.) is perfectly safe. Is there radiation? Possibly. Will it affect anything? No. there are much larger risks than residual radiation in a vehicle.

I am an angiography technologist and thusly have taken innumerable radiation safety courses. As was previously stated, inanimate objects can't be "irradiated", they can be contaminated but such materials can be washed off. All better...

Surgical instruments and implants are exposed to gamma radiation in order to sterilize them.

Surgical instruments and implants are exposed to gamma radiation in order to sterilize them.

Just as long as the doctors aren't also exposed to the gamma radiation.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nrCvjg6nsI]Hulk Smash!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Archived