LegacyGT.com

Snow tires and AWD, a first experience

Skidude

I just put some stock-size Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds on my OBXT, and drove through some snow and ice this weekend.

I would complain that these tires on this car are almost boring in the snow. I had no trouble with traction on anything but sheer ice. On dry pavement, they are quieter than my goodyear all-seasons and seem similar in comfort. I can't comment on ultimate dry grip, since I try to stay away from that on public roads. I drove once on the goodyears in snow before I changed them, and was actually impressed with the car's ability to accelerate, even with the snow on the road. And then I tried to stop, at which point I was no longer impressed. These Dunlops stop and turn just as well as they accelerate. It is fantastic!

My previous winter car was an old turbo miata with michelin x-ice, and while it never got stuck and would go anywhere (so long as ground clearance wasn't the issue), it always made for an entertaining trip. Subaru AWD with real high-quality snow tires is very confidence inspiring and I would not hesitate to drive that car anywhere in any winter conditions (not that I ever hesitated with the miata, but now people won't look at me funny when they see me driving around in a blizzard).

So, for anybody trying to decide whether snow tires are worth it, the answer is YES. I am sure it has been said before, and I am sure I won't be the last person to say it, but there is a huge difference in snow between all season tires and winter tires. Especially when it comes time to stop!

Archived