LegacyGT.com

05-09 LGT Audio Questions

SLegacy99

I am looking at purchasing an '06 Legacy GT, but one of my main concerns is the audio. I presently have a 200 watt Apline Audio setup which is not powerful enough for me needs. IIRC the audio in the Legacy GT has been pretty weak until '09 when Subaru upgraded the sound system.

So please enlighten me Legacy owners as to what you have and what you can do to upgrade the stereo? Are the kits that would allow me to remove the built in head unit to replace it with an aftermarket one?

Thanks,

Ben

If the LGT has the auto climate controls, it's very expensive to replace the factory radio ($600+ not including the new head unit). With manual climate controls it's quite a bit easier.

You can keep the factory radio and install an aftermarket signal processor instead like an MS8, Cleansweap, or Alpine PXE-H660. This is what I did and I'm pretty happy with the results. It's not as good as a nice aftermarket head unit, but for me it was a lot cheaper. Plus you get to keep the factory look on the dash.

You could always just use LOCs and an amp to stay cheap, but then you keep the poor EQing from the factory head unit. I haven't heard a setup like this so I don't know how bad it is.

Speakers are pretty easy to swap. 6.5" components up front, 6.5" mids in the rear.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

If the LGT has the auto climate controls, it's very expensive to replace the factory radio ($600+ not including the new head unit). With manual climate controls it's quite a bit easier.

No LGT's came with the manual climate controls. And where do you get that it's $600 not including the head unit? The Dual Din kit is $375-ish with the current exchange rate, and while you could get a JDM hazard button (roughly $40), it's not necessary. The only other thing than the kit you need is a wiring harness from SVXdc which is probably $20 IIRC. Also, member "itsme" purchase an ebay dual din Nav head unit that he reviews, and says it's great bang for your buck (~$300-ISH).

You can keep the factory radio and install an aftermarket signal processor instead like an MS8, Cleansweap, or Alpine PXE-H660. This is what I did and I'm pretty happy with the results. It's not as good as a nice aftermarket head unit, but for me it was a lot cheaper. Plus you get to keep the factory look on the dash.

In my opinion, if you're considering spending $200+ for a cleansweep, might as well go all the way and opt for the JDM Dual Din kit. I had a cleansweep in my '08 spec-B (it was there when I bought it), and I couldn't tell any difference over the OEM head unit running by itself.

...where do you get that it's $600 not including the head unit?

My mistake I guess. I remembered that number for some reason, but after looking back, I'm wrong. A member on here did the install a couple months ago and posted the price as $480 including the hazard button and shipping. It's still a lot of money to install a head unit though; enough that I personally wouldn't do it. If you figure in the cost of a nice double din head unit, it gets pretty expensive pretty quick.

I'm happy with my Alpine PXE-H660 for $150.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

This has been very helpful! What if i'm looking at adding some bass, what's a good way to get some bass out of the OEM HU with dual climate control? Could you explain what the signal processor does? How it's hooked up? Would i have to get something to get aux in with something plugged in to the back to fool it?

thanks!

This has been very helpful! What if i'm looking at adding some bass, what's a good way to get some bass out of the OEM HU with dual climate control? Could you explain what the signal processor does? How it's hooked up? Would i have to get something to get aux in with something plugged in to the back to fool it?

thanks!

How much bass do you want/need? There's an OEM "under-seat" subwoofer that I'm partial to, however I don't like mind-numbing bass pounding your every thought. Just want something to complement and fill out the sound.

How much bass do you want/need? There's an OEM "under-seat" subwoofer that I'm partial to, however I don't like mind-numbing bass pounding your every thought. Just want something to complement and fill out the sound.

I saw that underseat sub in a different threat, but idk. I'm thinking it sucks. I'm starting to consider going the DSP and aftermarket speakers + 4 channel amp + sub route. all together i'm looking at around $500. Which isn't awful for a better system, i put in twice that on my previous car.

I have the underseat sub but it wasnt enough for my liking (im one of those thumpitty thump kind of guys). I ended up splicing my amp into the harness for the underseat sub and have been pretty happy with it. My only complaint at this point is the speakers could use an upgrade. Think for a box, two subs, amp, wiring kit and some odds and ends I spent less then $500.

I added new door speakers ($100 for all 4 off craigslist), and a sub/amp in the trunk, great sound and probably $300 total, and all brand name stuff. If I could do it again I would go for the hidden sub enclosure in the spare tire area. You can keep the spare tire, and add a 8,10 or 12" w/ no loss of trunk space. Those sub boxes are going for around $150. Search that, there's a member here that will custom make them for you

I also have the underseat sub, it fills out the sound nice but wasnt enough for me. Its plenty of bass for my wife so to each his own

Archived