LegacyGT.com

Hey People! New here. Check it out.

Bg5SoCal

Don't put that $hit in your radiator it won't work, I know because I tried it. You most likely have an internal leak where the combustion vapor is getting into the coolant causing it to over heat. Pop the cap on the over flow bottle, put your nose in their and take a good deep pull. If it smells like exhaust fumes your HG's are toast. I ran with no t-stat for awhile until I could afford to fix it. Runs great now :)

DON'T put anything into your system to "patch" a leak. You'll either clog up your radiator, or clog up your water passageways in the block. Either way, you'll definitely compromise your cooling system, leading to early water pump failure, a leaking radiator or hot-spots on your heads with accompanying blown headgasket(s).

From everything you've mentioned, it sounds like one or both of your headgaskets are on their way out. Also, pull your oil filler cap and check the bottom of it. If it's got moisture ont he inside, then your HGs are leaking.

GL with your car.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Running with no t-stat is only gonna buy you a little more time, not make things better. The HG's will continue to deteriorate and eventually lead to complete failure and possible internal damage that will then cost more money to fix. If you have hand tools, a Haynes manual, patience and another beater to get around you can do the job yourself. Get on your local subaru forum and find some locals to help out or someone to do the job for cheap. There are plenty of threads to read on HG replacement so you can gain more knowledge. I'd hate for you to keep driving it like that for so long that all you have left is a beautiful shell with no motor. I found a local who helped me do my HG's in the drive way for cheap and I gained the know-how. Anyway good luck.

• 5 months later...

Archived