LegacyGT.com

UP/Wastegate question from a noob..

So, I have been doing some reading about weather to with a new UP with the standard internal wastegate or go for the one with an external wastegate. I have read that an External WG is better overall, is this true or does it matter on the turbo?; cuz i was thinking of staying stock for the time being.

Also i understand that an external WG will need to have a special setup, meaning more money and some work, work that have to pay for to do :(.lol

Is this true? ( i was looking at the Grimmspeed UP w/ EX WG)

Thanks for any information.

An external wastegate is better since it's not blocking the flow in the UP. Its more effective for any turbo. You'll need an UP w/ EWG, EWG, dump pipe, and tune. It's a bit more pricey also but a worthy investment. Having more power on the stock turbo would only shorten it's life a bit more.

What are your power goals? Any idea what your eventual set up would be?

I would suggest mapping out your mod path to avoid spending money on parts that you don't need or won't be enough for your end goals. Most big turbos will need an EWG, but if you're looking at around 300whp on stock fitment turbo (VF52, BNR16g/18g) it won't be a big deal either way in the end.

I'm sure you already know that it is not street legal in any state based on EPA standards. I'm not being a tree hugger (my stage 2+ set up was full catless) just letting you know that if there are emissions tests, it may or may not pass because you're dumping unfiltered exhaust straight to the atmosphere pre-turbo.

They are also very noisy. Remember blowing through a straw as a little kid? Now amplify that with higher pressure through a slightly larger opening. So that's either a positive or negative depending on how you look at things.

And finally, the extra costs involved. Like GT_dude said, EWG UP, EWG, dump tube, and if you're using the stock turbo, you'll need the clamp kit to seal your stock turbo's internal wastegate. In comparison, you can get a stock STi UP used for around $40-50 or an aftermarket one for around $100.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Going EWG on a stock turbo is definitely not a cost effective mod. You're looking at over $1000 by the time you're tuned for it. For maybe 10whp?

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone going EWG on a VF40.

I see. Well for starters I want to start, with a full exhaust overhaul as i did on my RS. Already got my full AVO exhaust and mufflers, now just need UP and DP maybe headers(if they are worth it .. are they? Had borlas's on my RS) a new TMIC and a good tune ofcourse.

So overall i should stick to a regular INWG for the time being until i am ready for a turbo upgrade?

BTW, thnx for all the amazing advice, still feel like a noob with everything i learn ,ha :).

From our experiences at the shop, an UP and DP or full turbo back are more than enough for most. Considering you have an 06 and the turbo might go now is where you have the options. If you do a VF52 or similar sized oem style turbo, then the EWG is probably more headache than it is worth. Like everyone has said, noise, emissions, tuning, money are all things to consider.

We like the simple route as it is reliable and there is no headache when it comes to all the mods. We run our cars hard so reliable is something we focus on the most. Some EWGs are really not designed for Subaru application and can end up hitting the frame under hard load. If you spent the money you could have the dump tube plumbed into the DP but now you are talking about fabrication and getting someone to do it right.

Overall I would figure out your goals with the car and work from there. Give us a shout, we are happy to help.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

^^^^But thatsincludes reports of all failures of mbrs on this board. Not taking into consideration people who have higher miles or stock turbos still we don't know about with supporting mods.

The stock turbo on our cars isn't the strongest especially with higher miles or prior abuse. I have 85k on mine and my turbo has zero shaft play and is looking good. But I'm holding on off any serious power mods unless I decide to upgrade to a vf52.

I see, so would you say that it would be smarter to get the turbo now also?

I was looking at the suggested BNR turbos by some members. Are these good turbos that can last well? Btw is their a BETTER turbo for a 5EAT over the MT versions, or is it all the same and due to the tune ? Btw i got a 5eat ..forgot to mention that.

VF52 is a good common route for a DD. If you have a 5EAT then you should look into getting valve-body mod first. It'll save your trans especially since you have low miles.

Any place to buy a valve body mod? or do i have to get mine upgraded at IPT?

Is the BNR VF40 a good upgrade or is the VF52 better ?

both are good turbos from what I've read (as are others). More of personal preference from what I've seen and heard. It depends on what kind of power you're looking for. Both have it's ups and downs. Check out Hex valvebody mods on this forum. He's has a few thread posted up in regards to it and it's a good deal.

Archived