LegacyGT.com

Stage 1 OTS...not impressed

coldmm803

Two weeks ago I flashed my 09 LGT 5EAT with an Accessport to stage 1 91 octane v3.0.0 (Cobb's OTS map). I'm not impressed, I haven't noticed any difference in power or smoothness and my gas mileage has gone down even using Intelligent mode and being easy on the pedal.

I've tried getting some logs but it doesn't seem to record all of the parameters I select. From what I was able to log, I don't seem to be hitting full boost and am only getting 13.2-13.5 psi. I tried looking on Cobb's site but can't find a high wastegate map for the 09 LGT.

If anyone is interested I can post the logs I have but I hope to get a chance tomorrow to try and get better data.

I normally run 91 oct and feel it is quite easy to find, 93 oct is slightly harder. Since I just got the Accessport, I don't know if it is worth using 93 yet. Would 93 decrease the chances of knock (if I'm experiencing it)? Also, would the extra 2% HP and 1% TQ be noticeable over the 91 map (according to cobb's data sheet)?

5eat................i dont know if the accessport changes the shift points at all in the tranny

I wouldn't expect it to. I think it is all engine related tuning. Although, I wonder if you could improve fuel economy by starting from 2nd all the time when in Intelligent mode.

I probably should have mentioned. I have a boost gauge and prior to flashing to stage 1 it would hit close to 15 psi and now it does not. I read about there being high wastegate maps on NASIOC for the WRX and I see there is one for the 2010 LGT but don't see one for mine. I will look over the clamps and hoses though.

Octane will help prevent knock. SEARCHING about octane on google would have told you this. You should probably spend some time educating yourself about the mods you are doing.

You were hitting 15lbs before and are hitting 13.5lbs. x2 on boost leak. You boosted higher than you ever did before and now have a leak. Doubt its the tune.

I did not even make it home from my stage 2 tune without blowing vac lines.

-from the land of CA 91 urine-ated fuel.

Octane will help prevent knock. SEARCHING about octane on google would have told you this. You should probably spend some time educating yourself about the mods you are doing.

You were hitting 15lbs before and are hitting 13.5lbs. x2 on boost leak. You boosted higher than you ever did before and now have a leak. Doubt its the tune.

I did not even make it home from my stage 2 tune without blowing vac lines.

-from the land of CA 91 urine-ated fuel.

I am trying to learn about tuning.

I've had the car for 2 years, i've been consistently hitting close to 15psi on my boost gauge. Two weeks ago I flash to stage 1, now I don't see over 13.5 psi. How is it more likely for a hose to come off when my car is sitting in a garage than for a tune? My understanding is that stage 1 doesn't change the peak boost but stage 2 increases it. I can understand stage 2 causing a hose or come loose/off. What is normal for wastegate duty cycle % to hit target boost under WOT?

Cobb knows that after flashing to their map that some vehicles don't hit target boost and some go over, this is why they have low wastegate maps and high wastegate maps for other models.

If I switch to 93 oct and a 93 map, how is that different than using 91 oct on a 91 map? I understand that the 93 map would be tuned differently allowing for more power but if the car is tuned for it how would it decrease the chance for knock? I can understand using 93 oct on a 91 tune helping. Is that what you are suggesting may be necessary?

cobb's OTS maps are just that, off the shelf. it's instances like this where open source tuning is king. when higher boost is presented to the system, a hose can pop off sometimes immediately. not saying this is for sure what it is but even a throttle body couple that's not fully tightened would cause this.

what people are suggesting is that people who do have access to 93 octane run 91 oct maps because the timing is less, therefore the chance of detonation is less- especially when you use a higher octane than the tune is set for. it's like putting 93 in an N/A car. if it tends to knock on 87, putting 93 in usually subsides it quite a bit.

You can learn A TON by downloading AccessTuner Race and looking through the various COBB maps...I didn't know newer 4th gens had their boost levels raised to 15? I'd unmarry the AP and see if your boost goes back up? Maybe you can compare your stock map to COBB's OTS and see what things like boost target and wastegate duty are between the two?

You can learn A TON by downloading AccessTuner Race and looking through the various COBB maps...I didn't know newer 4th gens had their boost levels raised to 15? I'd unmarry the AP and see if your boost goes back up? Maybe you can compare your stock map to COBB's OTS and see what things like boost target and wastegate duty are between the two?

That's a good idea. Can the AP datalog when it is not married to the car? It wouldn't let me connect to AccessManager without being married.

My understanding is that the stock boost is 14.5 and a quick look at the boost gauge while driving it looks like 15psi. Since flashing to stage 1 the needle is in the middle between 10 and 15. The gauge may not be perfectly accurate but it is enough for me to know that I'm hitting less boost.

I must say thank you to LosAngelesLGT. I have not found a loose hose (unless the throttle body hose came off the tb on the passenger side of the car since I couldn't see or feel there). I did notice that my coolant was well below the "low" mark. Engine temp has been normal. I may have a much bigger issue. I dropped the car off at the dealer today, they did a pressure test and didn't see any leaks and they added what was needed. I flashed back to stock last night and will be keeping an eye on the coolant for now. I popped the hood when I got back from the dealer and did notice some fluid at the bottom of the radiator fan housing and observed a sweet smell but time will tell.

As a result of unmarrying the AP, I am not able to datalog the stock tune. I could try running Cobb's "stock tune" ACN91+ map if someone can confirm that it won't hurt my car. I don't know how ACN91 compares to north east PA winter gas.

Latest OTS maps are version 3.0.1 FWIW.

301 rev was a little more friendly to my 08.

+1. i just upgraded to the 3.0.1 map after using 1.something for the last couple years and have noticed less stuttering in 2nd gear. also noticed peak boost (stage 1 93 map btw) is down from 16 flat to 15.6, vacuum at idle up(?) from -12.9 to -11.9.

Archived