LegacyGT.com

05 LGT- Does this look decent for the price

SpooledSouth

1. compression test

2. do NOT use 5w-30 mobil 1 if you plan on driving it hard, OA shows excess sheer to 20w within 1,000 miles = oil consumption and bearing failures in the most extreme case. This has been discussed thoroughly throughout this forum, search. mobil 1 5w-40 however is a much better choice.

3. Best oil analysis testing has been with castrol 5w-30 syntec, amsoil, pennzoil, rotella. mobil 1 and royal purple being the worst.

so whut kind of oil do you use?

So if I buy the vag-com cables or any of them and I just plan on getting someone to make a map for me I don't need to worry about logging right? Thats just for making maps. I was reading a thread about it and the steps but it was just reflashing or is that what they call it when you install a map?

Edit: For the oil question I hope you're joking becasue there are so many threads on oil its dumb and almost every motor thread gets turned into an oil thread lol. I'm going to run 5w-30 amsoil or the 5w-30 pennzoil plat.

a vagcom and tactrix allows you to flash and log. a tuner sends you a base map, you flash it on, you log, you send him the log, he sends you a revised map. this process continues until the tuner says its the final revised map. the process can take a couple weeks to finish

^ wow thats a downside. So during that time you can't drive the car? Or is there a way to keep using the stock map. Seems like alot of work, how much does it cost to have a tuner make one? With the access port there isn't a wait time like that is there?

you can drive the car, but you should stay out of boost until they send you a revised map in the interim. accessport, as soon as you have the device in your hands, you can install and flash and drive however you want. the preloaded accessport maps aren't anything special. you won't get as much power or smoothness as an open source tune. depending on the tuner it can be anywhere from $150 and up. infamous charges 150 for a basic etune i believe

an open source tuner that has accesstuner capabilities can send you a map so you can load it in with the accessport, no laptop needed. however, as with any tuning, logging is necessary, and revised maps will be needed so that the map/tune is safe and effective for your car. there is no 'set it and forget it' when it comes to tuning. it takes diagnostics once on your ecu, and then revisions until it's damn near perfect and your car is happy (i.e. not knocking). this means the tuner continues to up the ante and then sends you the map, you drive it, log it, send him the log, he'll either continue to up the timing or fuel or pull back some so that you have the best/safest tune on your car.

Well it looks like the cables are the way to go really. I'm not going to pay 550 bucks for some electronic portable gauges. I guess I'll need to learn how to log. I looked at a few screen shots of logs and it looks really complicated. Is there a software I need to download? I think it was call RomRaider.

I test drove the LGT tonight.

1.Fist thing is the throw out bearing made a crazy noise every time I pushed the clutch in( he told me before hand that it had a bad throw out). The clutch was crazy. It felt like it didn't disengage and engage till an inch from the floor board.

2. In low rpms when I would floor it the car seemed to have a jumpy power curve. I've never had a boosted car so don't know if thats turbo lag or what but still pulled prett hard. Felt like it would keep up with my Z.

1. TOB is something that needs to be replaced immediately if it is making noise. If you aren't doing the work yourself, expect to pay $1500-2000 for a clutch kit, matching single mass flywheel, and possibly a TSK3 modified throw out bearing.

2. Could be pulling timing due to knock or just the dynamics. I know it is jumpy if you don't ease on the throttle.

I test drove the LGT tonight.

1.Fist thing is the throw out bearing made a crazy noise every time I pushed the clutch in( he told me before hand that it had a bad throw out). The clutch was crazy. It felt like it didn't disengage and engage till an inch from the floor board.

2. In low rpms when I would floor it the car seemed to have a jumpy power curve. I've never had a boosted car so don't know if thats turbo lag or what but still pulled prett hard. Felt like it would keep up with my Z.

don't expect a stock LGT to be anything exciting :lol:

Archived