LegacyGT.com

Spend MY money

2.5blueGT

I am looking for recommendations on a new Head unit.

I am looking to spend $500 or less for a new head unit.

I am thinking double Din, because I am not sure the dash will look clean with a single Din unit. MY only goal is good/great audio quality.

Have it.

Thanks

Shawn

In the 500 dollar range you're going to get better SQ with a single din unit. If you want double din for the look I totally understand and agree, but you're paying for navi, screen savers, touch panel, etc. when with a single din unit your dollar will go more towards audio. If you're really all about SQ you should spend a bit more and try to get into the pioneer P series or alpine F1 units. I've been very happy with those in the past. I've heard some clarions are awesome, personally I've never owned one though and since I tend to pick out my friends setups, they seem to stick with my preferred brands.

What's the rest of your system like/how far are you willing to go? Is a super high end head unit going to be worthwhile? If you don't have huge audio plans your HU isn't going to make as much difference as quality speakers and amps. Get something with a good built in eq (not just bass +2, treble + 3, bla bla), decent pre-out voltage, and an easy to understand/operate interface.

The tuning offered by the higher end HU's will ultimately be able to give you better SQ but if you're not willing or interested in spending hours and hours and hours fine tuning things I think you should keep it more simple and go with a middle of the line Alpine, Clarion, or Pioneer double din that will fit your cosmetic needs better and provide more audio tuning ability than more basic HU's.

I know you said double din, but my vote is for a Pioneer DEH-P800PRS. I had the older model (880PRS) and loved it. I would have installed it in my LGT if the JDM bracket wasn't $600. It's got a lot of adjustment capabilities as far as crossovers, a 16 band (I think) left-right independent EQ, and time alignment. All that gives you the capability of going active, which is a good thing if you're building a SQ system.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

I bought the Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD for under $400. It's pretty good for what I want in my system for now. I've always liked the Pioneer Premier systems, but too bad they don't make a double din system.

If you're planning on doing a double din replacement, be prepared to spend $$$.

Archived