LegacyGT.com

Check Engine / Crazy Idle

Well, it's been a while since I posted here, but something has come up.

My '05 Legacy wagon has had its check engine light / blinking cruise control light on for a while. I did some googling and found that many people have that problem. My code was "Bank 1 catalyst efficiency below threshold (I believe P420). I ended up debating whether or not to change the cat or the o2 sensor and I ended up doing the cat (aftermarket). I have read that sometimes the spark (coils/plugs) or o2 sensor can cause this. Is this true? If so, what are your bets on it?

When I bought the car, I failed emissions testing because of the CEL, its been going on and off every so often, and the CC light is always coming along for the ride (blinks). Anyway, after the cat was replaced, the light came back on so I had to delay my emissions testing again. Right before the new deadline I got, the light went off (temporarily of course) and I said "to hell with it" and got it tested, knowing that whatever was wrong will cause the light to come back on later. Well, it passed with it off and the light came back on as I left the emissions center.

Moving on, the other day I went to start my car in the cold December morning weather. It turned on, but had one hell of an idle. Loud, rough, clunky. The engine was shacking like mad, as if 1 or 2 cylinders were not firing well. It didn't have the choking sound or struggling type of idle where it would be a vacuum leak. It would stay idling as long as it wanted to, but wow it was rough. Almost like a blown HG (I don't drive it hard), but no smoke from exhaust, no oil in coolant/no coolant in oil, no loss of coolant, etc...I popped the hood and the entire engine was shaking....a lot. Turned it off, tried to start again, same thing. Same result on third try. I called for a tow to a shop, but as I waited, it must have got a bit warmer. I decided to start it again before the tow truck came and low and behold, it started up and idled perfectly fine. It's been 2 days now since and it has been running fine.

Spark plugs are about 3k-5k miles old.

Fresh oil

What could have caused it? and is it most likely linked to the CEL light I've had for a few months?

Thanks in advance.

Archived