LegacyGT.com

5EAT trans fluid and diff questions.

2.5GT_dude

I've have searched and all I find is a bunch of scattered info (or I'm blind and dumb.) I wish there was a sticky with more concise information in one thread. This is for my sanity and to keep me from boucning between 5 different threads to get the info and confusing myself.

Simple questions in regards to a 2005 5EAT GT.

How much fluid is req for changing the 5EAT trans?

The front diff uses is seperate than the 5EAT trans fluid and uses 75w90, correct? How much?

Where does the trans fluid drain/refill at?

Where does the front diff drain/fill at?

75w90 goes in the rear diff, correct? How much?

Let me know if I'm missing anything or need to know.

How much fluid is req for changing the 5EAT trans?

Drain and refill around 3-4 quarts. Full flush around 10-12.

The front diff uses is seperate than the 5EAT trans fluid and uses 75w90, correct? How much?

Two quarts should be enough for the front and rear but you may want to have three on hand to be safe.

Where does the trans fluid drain/refill at?

Drains out of the plug in the pan. Fills through the dipstick.

Where does the front diff drain/fill at?

Drains out of the plug in the front diff, the big T-70 nut. Fills through the dipstick.

75w90 goes in the rear diff, correct? How much?

See above. Drain and fill through two plugs, easy to see.

Many will debate between a full flush vs drain and refills. How many miles do you have and has the trans fluid been changed before? If so, drain and refill or power flush?

Car has 85k and no flush or drain since purchase 2 yrs ago. A flush worries me after reading horror stories. I may just do a drain only for the time being.

But thanks for response!

I also wouldn't do a power flush. I would do one of two things:

1)Do a drain and fill, drive ~500 miles, repeat, repeat. This will use around 10 quarts and will effectively replace around 2/3 of your original fluid.

2)Disconnect the trans cooler output line and feed into a bucket. Start car and allow 3-4 quarts to drain into bucket, then shut off and replace same amount with fresh fluid into the dipstick. Repeat this until 100% has been exchanged and is clean. This will essentially "flush" your trans without using the power flush that the horror stories come from. This method has been advocated by climberD, 5eat chief guru...

Archived