LegacyGT.com

urgent paint removal help!

so they're drawing the stupid yellow lines on the street without blocking the wet paint side, so now my wheels and parts of the bumper are sprayed with yellow street paint. my legacy is black and it looks pretty bad.

How do I remove the yellow paint off the plastic mud guards and off the paint without damaging them?

You could try using clay to get it off. That would probably be my first thing I try. Then I'd try a tar/adhesive remover like mineral spirits. The paint on your car is dry and applied in such a way that a little laquer thinner isn't going to kill it. I wouldn't recomend washing your car with it, but you need to get this stuff off fast and laquer thinner or minieral spirits are good at removing stuff like this. Road paint is designed to stick and last for years and years. Get it off fast or else you'll have to shave it off. I don't know what products you have available in Montreal, but I would start looking for a clay bar as soon as possible.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

okay thanks alot OCDetails, just a quick question, what do I do with the clay bar? do I stick it on the paint and remove it? the paint should come out with it?

edit: I just found this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396670114&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1119496489876&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441890219&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

is this what I should buy?

If that is the Mother's clay bar system then that is good stuff. It asks me for a postal code when I log in so I just used the example they ask for and did a search for clay. Clay Magic is better, but if you can't get that locally then Mother's is the next best thing.

This is what clay is generally used for and how to use it. That should help a bit. It always surprises me what clay can do. I was working on getting some tar off a car last week and I gave up on my tar remover. I busted out a bar of clay and it took care of the problem in no time. Its great stuff.

OCDETAILS BLOG

great thanks again for the info, I'll go look for a clay bar first thing 2moro, i'll post the results here. btw, does the car have to be clean just like the link says or I can still use it even if it wasnt very clean?

wash the car first and then use the clay. Very important that the car is clean or else the clay will just be used up too fast and it could really scratch up the car.

OCDETAILS BLOG

great news OCD, got most of it off the paint, but the mud guard is still covered in yellow. I loved that clay stuff, it really works. But for plastic, what do you advice me to use? I tried a small peice of clay on the guards but its really hard to work on them, can I use some spray or something that doesnt damage plastic but gets rid of paint?

Thanks.

Clay didn't work? Hmmm.... Since its plastic and rubber the paint might just scrape off with your thumb nail. Its also a little harder to scratch than paint, so the green side of a kitchen sponge might do the trick without scratching up the plastic. Give that a shot if you don't have any solvents to try out. I honestly don't know what the effect of a solvent would be on those. I don't want to be the one to give you advice that ruins them though. Try scratching it off first if you can. I use mineral spirits in a spray bottle to remove tar and stuff up in the wheel wells that I can't get off. It hasn't ever damaged the plastic that I have seen. The shop I worked at used it all the time.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived