LegacyGT.com

Changing Spark plugs in GT?? HARD??

Hey, I just purchased my 2005 Legacy GT and only has 60k on it. I am a motorcycle mechanic and have been for 10 years, but I will be the first to admit I'm not the best at working on cars. I was wanting to change spark plugs and was wondering if anybody had any tips. Also any other helpful tips you may have, feel free to share. THANKS

Well it is a boxer motor (like the BMW Motorcycles), so the spark plugs are not in the easiest to access places, but use a spark plug socket (the one with the rubber seal) to get it out, then to put the new one in use a regular long socket to tighten it, otherwise you will never get the socket off of the plug. On mine, I had to take the battery off and the windshield washer fluid receptacle to get at the right side spark plugs. It makes it a whole lot easier. Hopefully that helps :)

There is a good walkthrough on here, just don't have a link on hand right now. You will definitely need a 6" extension and a u-joint for your socket wrench. Removing the battery and airbox is pretty much required to get to them as well. I wouldn't call it hard, it's just pretty time consuming, roughly a 3 hour job I'd say. I'm sure others will chime in and probably find a link for ya as well, good luck!

Is it really that much more difficult to change on the turbo vs NA?

I changed mine on my 01 in about 20-30 mins with a flashlight @ night after my kids went to bed when I first bought her.

Can you post a walkthrough please? I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong.

Can you post a walkthrough please? I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong.

I've been told it's different on the 05+ GTs since they are turbo. My 01 unfortunately isn't since Subaru hosed the US market by not offering a turbo engine on the 00-04's.

But I had already removed the resonator boxes along the piping from the front "scoop" to the filter box at the back of the engine and such on the intake line for extra noise since I'm MAP vs MAF and it's not picky pre sensor. So the passenger side was easy since there was nothing additional to remove...pull the wire, loosen with the socket and 10" extension, pull the plug, install the new plug, reinstall the wire and move on.

Driver's side was a bit more involved since I had to remove the washer reservoir. And the most difficult part there (insert sarcasm) was getting the harness to release and plugging the nipple so all of the fluid didn't drain out once the hose was removed. But same procedure after that as it was on the passenger side. Reinstalled the reservoir and it was done.

Archived