LegacyGT.com

Trying to get a little more growl up front...

kordos

I love my 05 Wagon. Cobb stage 2, Invidia UP, Catted Invidia DP. Stock CB - and likely to stay that way due to a lack of muffler / tip options that dont melt the wagon bumper.

I _love_ how the car sounds out the back; fantastic rumble, definitely not stock. But up in the driver's seat, it's much less impressive.

Are there any simple mods to tweak the sound up front? Different air filters / intakes? Does removing the silencer make a noticeable difference?

Any advice is appreciated.

Intake makes a lot of difference in sound. It really lets you hear the turbo spool up.

If you go that route you will have to tune for it.

You could also get an aftermarket panel filter, it does not require a tune and will also give you some sound from the turbo.

Get rid of the silencer. With just that removed an a K&N filter, I have people ask me if I have an aftermarket BOV all the time, and the turbo is fairly loud as well. Also as far as exhaust goes, Turbo XS is going to be selling a la carte exhausts soon.

That means you can buy a mid and Y pipe if you dont want to be too loud but you want a little extra growl, they are going to have lots of options ie resonated or non, different muffler options, and the mid and Y will hook up to your stock cans if you want to keep it that way.

Oh, and there are plenty of existing wagon CBE options that wont melt your bumper, just do some research. A bit of research will also show you that going with an aftermarket intake at the point you are at is only really useful if you have a couple hundred dollars that you really need to spend, and you really feel the need to pay for a tune so you can use said intake without running dangerously lean.

Thanks for the responses, gents.

Sounds like an aftermarket intake isn't worth the tuning headache (although I'm not opposed to a custom tune in the long run - probably going to wait until after a TMIC upgrade).

And I can actually hear the turbo very well as-is; it's the boxer rumble that I'm not getting enough of.

Maybe a mid and Y pipe would be the ticket - I'll keep an eye out for Turbo XS.

Archived