LegacyGT.com

Anyone RallyX?

Zac88

I was looking into it hear in Ontario, looks good, checked out a local rally club, guys wern't that helpfull or nice, they said take 3000$ flush it down the toilet and if you still have a budget join rally, never went back :( lol, havnt lost the drive though!! I think you should do it!

I'n not sure why, I figure they were just trying to discourage me which is weird for a rally club I thought, I'm guessing the budget was for broken stuff, which I guess is going to happen when pushing the car to the limit.

As for the performance parts, Id say, dont fix it until its broken, Im sure your Stock Subbie will perform well, I mean if you just want to get out there and have some fun vs winning. But what do I know, I'm a newbie wannabe, lol...

The newer style chassis isnt as well designed for rally style driving than the old GD or GC chassis. The rear suspension has less travel than the old multi-link. So you will run into issues with bottoming out the suspension, blowing struts, damaging parts etc. The new chassis are much better tarmac cars. SWRT actually ripped out the suspension of the 08 WRC and put the 07 set up in to get the design they wanted.

I love rallyX but honestly if you plan on prepping a car for it get an older Subaru and be prepared to replace things.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I raced rallycross a couple years ago in my 96 Impreza which was bone stock suspension and it was great! I drove it there, raced it hard, and drive it home and to work with no issues. If you really push your car you will be needing to replace things, obviously. Most guys use older cars that are needing a replacement part anyway and then the racing just finishes them off. With a newer car I think the chance of any heavy repairs is reduced quite a bit. Just make yourself some big 'ol flaps to keep the gravel off your car and use a bit of blue tape if you want your paint to stay pretty. But you should just go out there with your car stock and race. Start lightly then push it harder when you feel more comfortable. The courses are pretty mellow. No jumps, big dips, big rocks, trees, etc. The SCCA has some pretty strict guidelines to course design to keep it safe.

You can still have a ton of fun at a rallycross and not have to abuse your car or break parts. One thing I learned quick!

i rally-x but mine is older. i just changed out to stock wrx set up. testing has shown better results than my worn out ass lego struts but i will definately swap out sway bars. it has been my experience that weight transfer is the biggest factor in rally-x. but its not the be all end all. just do an event and talk to other people there. leave it stock and you'll have a ton of fun. your factory struts will work fine. depending on how you like it, then try some upgrades. check out (if you havent already) dirtyimpreza.com. they have tons of great drivers there and lots of rally experience. i myself am much more interested in rally than road racing and i love the info and the people on that site. but nothing can beat seat time.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

I auto-x and do the occasional rally-x in my 03 wagon - stock everything. Like others have stated, just try an event with you car as is and see if you like it and if you are comfortable with how much abuse your car may take. It will also give you a benchmark to compare to if you do upgrade parts.

If you really want to get serious with getting faster, the biggest performance upgrade by far (besides seat time) will be tires. A decent set of snow tires or rally specific tires will do much more than suspension upgrades alone.

Rallyx is also somewhat dependent upon where in the country you do it. Some courses are pretty mild, while others can be abusive. Best to do your homework on a course by course basis.

If you find the event is in a gravel/dirt parking lot, it will probably be relatively easy on your car. If you find it's in a farmers field or something that cars don't normally drive on, expect it to be more abusive.

Give it a try, if you enjoy it you may find yourself at a crossroads. If you truly love it, and find yourself doing it a lot, it's not necessarily a bad idea to pick up a beater car. Reason for that is, sometimes its more fun if you can go beat the snot out of car, and not have to worry about whether it will get you to work the next day.

If you find you like it, but don't have the opportunity to do it a lot, your daily driver can serve you fine. Just know that some of the rougher courses might cause damage or accelerated wear. If it's a rough course, you may find you need to take it a little easier. This means you'll be slower, and finish lower in the standings than if you gave it 100%. If you are having fun, who the hell cares? The sooner you realize these events are about putting a smile on your face, and not what the standings say, the happier you'll be. It's not to say you can't be competitive and have fun, just realize that nobody is scouting the rallycrosses for the next wrc star.

Good things to prep:

Suspension, stock will be ok. Anything you find that increases on road handling performance, probably will be a hindrance for rallyx. Stiff sway bars will restrict suspension travel, which isn't a good thing. You may want to add a front skid plate, as it's relatively cheap insurance.

Tires. Starting out, a good snow tire setup will treat you well. Make sure you pump up the tires to a higher psi than you'd normally run. This will help prevent the tire from popping off the bead. I'd also consider bringing those tires on separate rims, and changing on site. Dirt gets pack up in the rims, making the tires all out of balance, making a really annoying drive home.

There are certainly are cars better suited to rallyx right out the box than this generation of legacy, but there are far more that are worse off. Go have fun. I will warn you that it's a gateway drug.:lol: Once you try it, you'll be addicted for life.

How do u figure $3000? I know a handful of people that autox and rallyx their same vehicles for almost nothing.

I'm sure they are talking stage rally, not rallycross.

They might have also thought he meant the european style rallycross that is becoming more common here.

To stage rally, euro rallycross or hillclimb, you are roughly looking to spend $3k easy just for the safety equipment(there are exceptions). If you can get a rally america approved cage for $3k you've done well. In addition to the cage, you need fire suit, head and neck restraint etc. It adds up quick. Then when you race it, you run the very real risk of wrecking it. It can ahappen...happened to me.http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/sachilles/Ross/th_IMG_3596.jpg So in essence you just flushed $3k down the toilet. You will crash at some point, just a matter of how hard.

I'm sure they are talking stage rally, not rallycross.

They might have also thought he meant the european style rallycross that is becoming more common here.

To stage rally, euro rallycross or hillclimb, you are roughly looking to spend $3k easy just for the safety equipment(there are exceptions). If you can get a rally america approved cage for $3k you've done well. In addition to the cage, you need fire suit, head and neck restraint etc. It adds up quick. Then when you race it, you run the very real risk of wrecking it. It can ahappen...happened to me.http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/sachilles/Ross/th_IMG_3596.jpg So in essence you just flushed $3k down the toilet. You will crash at some point, just a matter of how hard.

Wow, crazy pic, is that you?

That must have been what they were talking about, at that time about 3-4 years ago I had a hand me down 97 legacy L wagon, I was just planning on trying to get out there, as amateur as possible, what I had read was you could get started with a five point harness, helmet and fire extinguisher, and obviously a saftied car, and you build from there, maybe now rallyx is bigger, and more popular, and easier as a beginner, then stage rally, either way it didnt really discourage me since that car died and its been until this summer that I grabbed my 3rd subbie, so im planning on logging some seat time at some local navagational street rallys and going from there, plus I found some private land fun rallies close to where I live, cheap, and not even street plated or insured cars are allowed, so thats another option im itching at getting into...:rolleyes:

Yeah, that was me. Ran out of road and talent.:nono:

I had just finished the car 3 days earlier. I was pretty thankful for the cage, and putting the fia bar at the A pillar, as I slid down the bank about a hundred feet on my roof. Thankfully a tree stopped me. All the safety equipment worked great, and the event workers were on scene in about 2 seconds. The shell ended up being garbage, transferred the drivetrain to an 02 shell, and that is what I run now.

So basically I flushed $3k down the toilet.

You can see more pictures here

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/sachilles/Ross/

Moral of the story is don't race anything you aren't afraid to lose.

Rallyx and autox are far less risky, and a good safe place to start, where you don't have to worry about killing your car.

Archived